concert programs - how many pieces?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Euph-Bari, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

just wondering how many pieces bands on avrage had in thier programs because the guest conductor we got for the weekend was shoked at how many peices are going to play.............

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I think the number of pieces played per concert depends on the ability of the band.
    I remember attending the National Youth Brass Bands 50th Anniversary concert and they only played eight pieces all evening!
    Tam o'Shanter's Ride, Passacaglia on a Theme by Brahms, Cornet Concerto, Spectrum, French Military March, Pavane, Bluebells of Scotland and Fireworks. They did throw in a couple of additional 'surprises' as well, but that concert lasted well over 2 hours.

For a 'standard' evening concert I suppose we usually play about 8 or 9 pieces each half plus an encore.

:wink:

3. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

yeah bout the same with us

4. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

For me two hours is long enough (including the interval), and when planning programmes I calculate that each piece in a typical band concert progamme will last on average five minutes, including preamble and applause.

Most problematic are joint concerts, particularly those with choirs whose conductors (in my experience) seem much more self-indulgent and less concerned with the need to keep an audience interested...

D

5. HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter Member

I'd tend to agree with Straightmute - when I'm planning a programme, I'll allow approx. 5 mins per piece and plan for two sessions of about 45 mins, hence up to 9 pieces per session. Of course, if there are particularly long pieces on the programme then this is reduced accordingly.

I've done concerts with choirs, too - they seem to operate in some sort of strange time warp where 20 minutes can last up to an hour!

6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I normally work on 8/9 first half
    and 7 second half, but a couple of encore's in hand.. depends what piece's you play too, I wouldn't play 8/9 "big" item's (test piece's etc.).

E/B you got loads to play sat morning mate!

7. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

8. BottyBurp

BottyBurp Member

I think most bands have done joint concerts with choirs - recently my band did a job and the choir did their usual full concert programme and that was just the first half! It was then our turn, so we just played a few pieces just to finish the concert at a reasonable time!! Why is it that choirs go on & on & on...

9. asteria

asteria Member

I did a concert on a tour this year where the conductor insisted on putting 24 pieces on the concert!! After a lot of pleading we got it down to 22 (the horn section insisted on sacrificing elvira madigan, gutted tho we were :D ).

The conductor was under the impression that a brass band concert format must be national anthems, march, overture, then solos and a feature from nearly every section in the band, plus a number of full band items sprinkled throughout! We had an audience of brass band nuts, but even they found it a little bit tooo much!

We started at 7:30ish and I think we finished at 11:30, after insisting on a very long interval!!
    I don't think my diaphragm's ever hurt so much, and everyone was using arnica cream after that one! Plus a few beers to numb the pain! :guiness

10. beard_4b

beard_4b Member

It depends on whether u have golden slippers on ur programme or not, coz thats like the length of 2 pieces!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    thier programs
    weekend
    concert programs
    pieces bands
    guest conductor
  12. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Helen,
    I notice how clever you were there at keeping the conductor nameless ;-)
    anyone I know :p

13. asteria

asteria Member

Intentionally done, I doubt you'd know him, he's not very well known for his conducting! Lovely guy tho, i'm guessing anyone who knows him will realise it's him straight away - one hint, first thing i was told before i met him "whatever you do, don't look at the conductor!"

14. Naomi McFadyen

lol :lol:
    I could say that bout several conductors!

:wink:

15. MattB

MattB Member

On average I aim for between 8 and 10 pieces per set. Say an average set is 45 minutes, this should be more than enough, especially ading on time for the obligatory naff jokes you have to tell as a conductor!!

16. Naomi McFadyen

yea, concerts I've usually done have been 45mins a side, with about a 20min interval... works out between 15 and 20 pieces in total...

17. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

So have I, but we came to a sort of arrangement.
    We do the 1st half of the first half and the last half of the second half. The choir sings in between, normally run over time and there is the interval in the middle.
    So when they are singing and getting cups of tea and coffee.............the band's in the pub over the road :D :D

18. twigglet

twigglet Member

...... i know exactly who you are talking about helen, hahaha! It is basically two concerts within one, something quite special to experience, although very tiring, luckily when abroad the bars don't tend to shut at eleven, which is a good job because if they did it would be a beerless band.....never good!

19. asteria

asteria Member

Hehehe, thought you'd know who i meant!! How did that guy become a conductor, bless him?!?! :lol:
    And yeah, i think we made up for the use of drinking time pretty swiftly!

20. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

:lol:

21. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

we normally have about 12 - 15 pieces in our concerts, two 45 min spots.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    thier programs
    weekend
    concert programs
    pieces bands
    guest conductor