Concert planning

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Okiedokie of Oz, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Yes, I know we are all in contest mode, but I am trying to plan ahead.

In an effort to keep the band active (an active band is a happy band, yes???? :lol: ) I would like to do a big concert in about August or something. Themed concerts always go down well, or sometimes not.

Either way, my knowledge on repertoire (including some of the older stuff) is limited. So I appeal to my elders for advice. What are some ideas for a theme, or really good pieces in any concert??

To help you out, I'll throw this little doosie in the mix - my band's library. Accurate to about 18 months ago I believe.
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

film music usually seems to go down well with audiences and there's loads of it about!
  3. Okiedokie of Oz

Exactly, but I was thinking more broader. Soundtracks in general.

TV shows

the entire works!!
  4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

having a quick look at your library you could go on for days with a wide theme like that!!!
  5. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Why don't you do a programme of band favourites?

Not only will your band theoretically enjoy it more (and therefore this will coma accross in their performance) but you won't have to do the planning yourself!

Winners all round me thinks... :lol:
  6. Okiedokie of Oz

Intriguing concept........
  7. The Peter Graham concert suites make great headlines for concerts....

eg. "Little Creek Brass presents - Windows of the World" then you use along with this piece, other examples of culturally themed music, for your march slot you could do the cossack, or something along those lines - then there's always a huge stockpile of solo items and slow melodies...

Probably suited more to a high section band, but the basic concept works for all.

A friend and I thought about the idea of basing a concert around the 'Call of the Cossacks' suite and we were amazed at how many ideas we came up with.

With some crafty advertising, posters and positive promotion you could really draw a crowd that otherwise wouldn't normally come to a brass band concert - then it's all about showing what class a brass band can have so you can retain the audience and build for years to come.