Concert pieces featuring percussion

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanbry, Apr 19, 2006.

1. alanbry

alanbry Member

Like all percussionists our kit player gets a little frustrated with the run of th mill pieces we play at gigs.

Any ideas of pieces featuring percussion, especially "kit" players.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

African Waltz.... I remember doing this several times with fantastic percussionists. Just allow the perc player to break into a riff during the mid section - sounds awesome.
  3. clare_euph

clare_euph Member

"That's a Plenty" -- I think it's called has a 16 bars or so kit break in it. Gaelforce has a fair bit in -- although the brass parts are a bit evil!!
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Barrie Gott's "Daniel" allows for a drum break in the middle.

If you're interested in something more substantial, "Time Lines" by Kit Turnbull (arranged for the Hampshire Youth Brass Band and recorded by Castle Main Frickley band on "Fever fantasy") has plenty of percussion of all sorts.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  5. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

"Death by latin drummer"

It's got to be movement 1 and 5 from Windows of the world, my heart sinks everytime the piece is mentioned. I don't mind the marimba but Latin american is all Dutch to me :D Also a good arrangement of Sing Sing Sing is a fair riff for the swinger at the back!
  6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Strike up the Band - arr. Goff Richards....
    Chorale and Rock out is good for kit too with a long ad lib solo near the end....
    Bill Bailey (another Goff arr.) is good for all perc section...

TIMBONE Active Member

MANHATTAN SPIRITUAL,signature tune of big band drummer and timpanist Eric Delaney. Includes 32 bar drum solo. More details on the popular page of or the TP Music section on
  8. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Can Can - arr. Geoff Richards
    Brassed Off - Darry Barry
    Miller Magic - arr. Denzil Stephens
  9. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

Cute - Geoff Richards(I think)
    Cry of the Celts
    Sign of the swinging cymbal
    Most of Phillip Harper's arrangments if published (normally Wright & Round)
    Sandpaper Ballet (for the carpenter in you)
  10. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

A couple of oldies in our library

Drummers Delight - arr Siebert
    Fascinating Drums - Huggens

I know that when we play Choral & Rockout there's always a drum fill at the end however it's not marked on the bass parts, is it on the score or perc parts?
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yes, both.
  12. Rimshot

Rimshot New Member

yes the fill at the end of rockout is marked on perc and score. Others to consider
    Start of something big, Brass bnd aid - African funk, Toccatta in D, Birdland, Although it's been put through the mill several times - Lightwalk, When the saints (can't remember which arr though it has singing and a big band bit in it) with what's in the thread now there should be plenty to go at but remember the run of the mill stuff might get boring but it's what you do to keep it interesting that counts and also how much poetic liscence your conductor allows you!!!!
  13. Di

Di Active Member

There's a few more mentioned here too. :)
  14. bassbonebloke

bassbonebloke New Member

Rusky-Percusky and heads you win are as cheesey as they come - but do the job