Concert Contrasts - Fairey Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by nickjones, Feb 7, 2005.

1. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Hi can anyone give some details of this recording , soloists , when it was recorded etc.?
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

November 2002. Jon Davies wasn't soloist (he was on BBb) it was Les Neish on Eb if that's what you're wondering. The other Eb was our own Shrek (Chris Doran)
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Hello. Andy is correct, there is a printing error on the CD and the Eb bass soloist is Les Neish on Carnival for Bass. Other soloists were Neil Hewson (Children of Sanchez), Ian Porthouse (L'Ete) and Morgan Griffiths (Mountains of Mourne) off the top of my head.
  4. tubaplayer

tubaplayer Member

That is some printing error!! I wonder if the band contacted Les to tell him?? Is this a common thing with brass band CD's??
  5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Actually, most band CD's don't list their players at all! Mind you, with the variety of different players a band sometimes uses for one CD (due to work commitments etc.) it's perhaps as well!

This recording was done over 2 years ago as well, the band was actually still Williams Fairey, not FP Music, and I think there are only 4 or 5 of the current band on it!
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Proof reading isn't always the best with band cds - one of the worst is the Black Dyke "Peter Graham" cd, produced in a hurry when "On Alderley Edge" was the test piece, where the track listings are up the creek, apart from anything else.

Re-issues are often even worse (if you get any artwork or notes at all!). There's a cd of my old band doing the rounds that was recorded just as I joined (1970's), proudly proclaiming itself to be the Band of the Coldstream Guards, but with a picture of the Engineers on the front :eek:
  7. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

This may be really sad, but could you check your CD of this?

I've always puzzled about it, but this seems to be in either (at best) reverse stereo, or (at worst) a complete c*ck up of a recording. There's no stereo imagery at all.

BOCCING over now. Sorry. But it's got on my nerves since I bought it!