Concert - Cafe style!

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Euph-Bari, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

Just got back from a concert with my band at Morley town hall - the audience were sat around tables and half way through the 1st half they brought out food (snacks - sausage rolls etc.) which at that point we went onto lighter music whilst they ate, and started the concert again properly in the second half.
    The ticket prices were a bit higher than normal but it was really successful
    and from ticket prices we raised over a Grande.

I think my band did one a while ago but were food was served all the way through the concert - this didn't work out as people were chatting allot all the way through and people complained that they had come for the music and not just the food.

Has anyone else done a similar sort of concert and did it work out well?
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit like opera performances used to be - none of this religious Hush, Listen to the Music; everybody in the audience eating/drinking/making merry all the way through. Sounds like a good idea in principle - I bet a lot of people who don't go to them would go to operas now if they still ran on similar lines.

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Sometimes concerts can be a bit too formal, and like your job, it's nice to not be under so much strain ... Is my tie straight? etc.

When i was on tour in Germany, we were bought crates of beer out in the half-time break ... now that's relaxation! :D
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've been involved in a number of "cabaret style" events with The Salvation Army, athough usually with smaller groups rather than a full band. They have proved particularly popular with younger audiences, who appreciate the informality of the occasion, and there hasn't normally been much disturbance while the music itself is going on.
  5. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

Royton Assemby Hall, which is on the outskirts of Oldham, has a series of concerts over a period of 3 months, on Sunday afternoon's, they are all cabaret seated concerts...
  6. Owen

Owen Member

Cafe Brass does work very well - Yorkshire Co-op band has been running them for about 5 years and they are a good way of enticing people along to a brass band concert that would not necessarily otherwise come. We also did them in the afternoons rather than evenings which also helps those worried about travelling after dark.

I suspect a former committee member of ours and now a committee member of yours may be continuing the spread of this type of concert! I hope that they continue to work as well for you as they have for us!
  7. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

Thanks - hope so :roll: :)