Computers.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by nook1938, Mar 27, 2008.

1. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

My computer will not "power off", everytime.
    It goe's through the process of closing windows down and clicks off, but will not turn all the power off. I wondered if it was the new graphics card I fitted, but it went through the tests OK and shows that it it working properly, there are no software that is different.

Any help would be most welcome. :clap:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    graphics card
    computer
    process
    windows
    everytime.It
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I've got one in the garage that does the same. I eventually gave up and its now up 24/7 as a fileserver. I did find that the only way to power it off was to press and hold in the power button. That sent a signal to windows to closedown and as long as the power button was depressed it did power off.

4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

First port of call would be to search the M$ knowledge base.

It could be something like a driver conflict with a hotfix.....just have a look at the Microsoft website.

5. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

download a decent ad and spyware checker such as Ad-Aware or Spybot, run a full system scan with it, then run a full virus scan, run a registery cleaner. It could be to do with some mal ware or a rouge adware hidden somewhere, which is using all the CPU time and preventing your system shutting down. Failing that you may have a dodgey stick of RAM which the system shutdown process is hanging in.

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I assumed the problem was the same as mine. The machine does power down and you can hear the power supply click off but then it immediately restarts. Mine is not hanging during powerdown, is yours the same problem nook.

7. andyp

andyp Active Member

Yes, usually due to a process (dodgy or otherwise) not stopping and preventing shutdown. Usual PC tidyup things needed:

Defrag (use Diskeeper Lite or Defraggler, Windows defrag isn't very good)

Clean out all temp files (CCleaner or DiskCleaner, etc)

Clean up registry (Eusing Free Registry Cleaner or CCleaner).

Then run anti-virus/anti-spyware (AVG/a-squared/spybot S+D, etc), these will run a lot faster on a clean PC.

If it's no better after that try the latest drivers for your new graphics card (Nvidia or ATI websites).

8. My laptop would not turn off but I searched the problem through google and I had turned on a media sharing setting with other devices that can run the windows media center application (such as xbox 360). You have to go into 'advanced power options' or something like that, find the media sharing bit and check that nothings requiring the computer to constantly power on (or do what I did, type the problem into google - your best bet for instructions/advice).

If you havn't got Windows Vista Premium+ or Windows XP media center addition this won't apply to you and it will be another problem

9. nook1938

Thanks johnmartin, mine closes down windows, then clicks off, but do's not shut off the power, until I press and hold down the power supply button, if I press the restart button, start up, then shut down, usualy it closes down completely.

I have also tried all the other remedies of spybot etc, but I found with spybot I could not get rid of it, it was taking over the machine, I have still files on now which I cannot find to delete. I can see them on tests but search will not bring them up.

10. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Chances are its a driver or a hardware issue then. I just learned to live with mine.

What OS and age of motherboard do you have. Is it a relatively recent ATX II board. This sort of problem is more prevalent on older boards and may be fixable with a BIOS flash if you want to go down that sometimes dangerous route.

11. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

the other one could be...if your running windows Vista then what looks like the shutdown button is not actually the shut down button, but rather a hibernate button, you need to click the little arrow next to it and choose 'shut down' from the menu

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    graphics card
    computer
    process
    windows
    everytime.It
  13. on_castors

on_castors Member

14. nook1938

Hi, to all the people who have replied, thanks, I am running Windows XP Pro. and it seems to sort itself out if I remove the programmes that are on the Start Menu.

15. nook1938

The "not powering off at shut down" seems to have been a issue with Internet Exployer, I have change my ISP provider and taken off all the internet connections and put the other companies on, now there is no problem.

Thanks again for all the people who replied.

John