Computer Progs to change Bass to Treble Clef?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Rapier, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Is there such a beast? I need to change quite a few Trombone parts from Bass to Treble Clef, is there any simple way? Does Photoscore do that?

I thought of asking the Trombs to learn to read Bass Clef, but then remembered they can't even work valves. :wink:
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I imagine any standard music notation application will do this.
  3. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

In Finale you can input the parts in bass clef and then change the part to treble clef
    using the first clef tab in the Staff Attributes menu and then add transposition up a
    9th from the same menu. That will change the parts to brass band pitch.
    If you have a brass band template in the library file, just add the notes in as it
    will already be in treble clef for trombones then just extract the parts you need.
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Thanks Baton. I have Finale 2009 on it's way to me. Just had to pay the £31 Customs charge on it! That'll teach me to buy from those pesky Yanks.
  5. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

Hi Rapier,
    Don't know if you have ever used Finale but if there is anything I can help you with please feel free to ask. I use from 2002 up to 2008, the interfaces are slightly different in 2002, 2004 but the menus are basically the same.
    £31.00 is a bit steep, the Dollar has dropped quite a lot recently so that won't help and I suppose they have to get their money back for the credit crunch somewhere!
  6. Feel free to email this pesky yank if you need help with the program. The brass band template is the easiest way tchange parts from concert to B flat. I scan parts in to save having to do it by hand.
  7. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I know that using Sibelius you input the part in bass clef, press Q, double click on the Treble Clef icon and click at the start of the piece. Sibelius transposes automatically and IMHO it's a lot easier to use than Finale.
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Hmmm ...

Possible new marketing strategy for the Finns then?

"Sibelius - For those who find Finale too difficult" ...

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Sorry if this is slightly off-topic and I'm not wanting to start up a Sibelius vs. Finale thread, but I am curious as to how many versions of Finale there is. Do they release one every year or do they just change the name to match? Do you have to keep buying the latest one to stay in the game? Can you tell the difference between Finale 2007 and 2009? Unless I'm very wrong, it all seems to be a bit of a marketing thing to me.

Anyway, back on topic. If the music is already typeset using modern software, it is possible to scan music in to an OCR program like Photoscore. You can then export the scanned file to Sibelius (or Finale probably) and edit from there. I've tried it using an older version of Photoscore and it was a bit labourious, but I think newer versions are better.
  10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Duncan, you might want to start by reading this:

If you want still more info,please ask.
  11. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

:lol: good one gjg
  12. satchmo101

satchmo101 Member

Sorry that you had to pay for, the following software might have sorted you:-

Just in case others are thinking of getting similar software:-
    Finale Notepad is a cut down version of Finale. It used to be free and Finale Notepad 2008 is the last version that is free and can still be downloaded. You can find it via or this link also works:-

When you click to download it will take you to the finale site where you need to create a user id. For some reason this only seems to list American States/ZIP for the address so I put Florida with a zip of 32821. Obviously this free version will not be added to by the company but it is a pretty good product for free.

Finale Notepad 2009 costs $9.99 on download.

I use Sibelius with an ad on that can read music in from a scanner. Costs quite a bit though.

13. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Sorry to be a bore, but if they are copyright works, make sure you have the publisher's permission before you do this. Shouldn't be a problem to get it.

(But as a retired police officer, you would know that.............!)
  14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Copywrite Law wasn't covered in my police training. :rolleyes:
  15. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

But maybe copyright was? ;)
  16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

See, that proves it. I don't even know how to spell it.