Computer Programming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by James McFadyen, Jan 26, 2004.

1. James McFadyen

James McFadyen New Member

As a little hobby I've always wanted to take up computer programming.

I have MS C++ and would really like some tips on programming, I know a little about C++, but really I know nothing! :wink:

Just wondered if anyone has any tips or source code or even websites about programming using C++
  2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member is a good resource. Pushing more on .NET now, but still has some emergent ideas. Besides, once you get into it, computer languages are just syntactical differences on the same ideas (at a high level)

As for tips, it's difficult to tip without knowledge of what you're doing and/or where you're going wrong (if at all)
  3. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Talk to me tonight James about the sort of stuff you're thinking about doing and I'll see if I can help. One thing I would advise is not to use C++ unless you have a good grasp of object oriented techniques. For hobby use you'd probably be better getting to grips with some of the web based technologies: VBScript, JScript, PHP and the like...
  4. amgray

amgray Member

Given the effort Microsoft are putting into dotNET, maybe you should consider C#, a new language that is more user friendly than C++.
    There are plenty of printed and online resources for C# - and you can get a fully functional free personal edition of C# Builder from Borland
    Borland products feature some of the easiest to use development environments around (OK - I'm a Delphi developer so I'm biased).

Best of luck!!!
  5. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

i started off using QBasic, which was very easy to use.

you can start off by just literally typing print "My name is Neil", which will output to the screen
    [code:1:6d4862cfc6]My name is Neil[/code:1:6d4862cfc6]
    Then you can make it appear indefinately!

[code:1:6d4862cfc6]My name is Neil
    My name is Neil
    My name is Neil
    My name is Neil
    My name is Neil

yes it is sad, but it is very simple, and you can make your own games etc with a bit more complex language functions!
  6. matty1986

matty1986 Member

I will go with neiltwist on this one,,,if your just starting off it's a better idea to start with something like QuickBasic to get a grasp of systax codes and programming conctructs. Then progress to more advanced high level languages!
  7. winterman

winterman Member

A general resource which I live by for job and hobby is a great search engine for developer related stuff.

I would agree with the others about starting with something a bit simpler than C++ but hey if it takes your fancy welcome to the "In at the deep end" world of programming.

Mic Tyler
    Principle Euphonium
    Drighlington Band
  8. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

A lot of programming languages all revolve around similar principles. Start with a basic language (QBasic!!!) and move it up. I worked a lot years ago in turboPascal C++ at school.
  9. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Whoooooooooosh :? :?