Computer Adjudication

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bbmad, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I was playing a karaoke game on the playstation the other day called singstar. Basically you sing along and the computer scores you according to how well you can sing in tune and in time etc.

Considering the endless, endless debate and obvious frailties of humans, why don't brass bands adopt a system of AI Adjudication?
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It is a logical endpoint of what we try to do. Why not just award bands according to how closely they can match a supplied reference recording and get a computer to analyse the differences?

It's an absurd question, but thinking about it can maybe unlock some of the shortcomings in the route we pursue...
  3. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

With an adjudicator sat next to each player to ensure they part exactly what's written on the printed part with no swapping of parts, misuse of mutes or just leaving out the difficult bits. :)
  4. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Actually its not quite as absurd as it sounds. I think the computer programming would need to be spot on, but theres several contests where 2 or 3 adjudicators mark either on the same aspects or maybe different ones (eg 2 musical performance and 1 entertainment). I cant see why you couldnt have a 2nd or 3rd "Electronic Adjudicator" that would measure musical accuracy. Maybe on current technology, only giving it 10% of the overall mark. As long as all bands were on an even footing and had a copy of any "defined standard" you can then either try and get a few extra marks with being "accurate" or forgoing them in a bid to trying to win over the human adjudicator with interpretation but it just might focus some minds on "the basics" especially in the lower sections

Over time I would guess someone may even be able to develop a programme which only needs a score - not a "standard recording" and can read the music and judge it for accuracy against what it hears. The technology exists - its just a case of someone writing the software to do it. Once we have THAT then we are on the "absurd path" that BbMad originally suggested
  5. owain_s

owain_s Member

Baby steps...getting paper scores which don't require multiple errata would be one of them.
  6. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

Absolutely. And playing devils advocate to my own comments, what if it was later found that they computer score contained errors. Or was rumoured to contain errors.....
    Accurate music should be a given in the modern day, but how many times do you look at a score only to discover the solo cornets only have 3 and a half beats in bar x.......