Compulsive Disorder?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

I just wondered if any of you guys out there think I need help! :confused:

I seem to be in a stage of my life where I am buying DVD box sets and can't seem to get enough of them.

It all started innocently a year last Christmas. I had watched one or two Friends episodes when I caught them on TV and thought they were funny. I decided to buy Series 1 on Video (changed them to DVD when released) and got hooked. So I looked on the Internet and decided to buy the whole 10 episodes at once. Of course every spare moment was spent watching the next episode! I have now watched the whole series 2 times and am now up to series 7 on the 3rd run through.

Since then I have bought all the released sets of CSI: Las Vegas and Miami, Charmed, and Alias (and it's very frustrating having to wait for the next series of each to be released!)

My latest compulsive obsession(?) is Buffy and Angel. I had caught 1 or 2 episodes of Buffy on the TV but never really understood the programme. However, being at a loose end waiting for the next release of the previously mentioned series', I picked up Buffy series 1 on sale. I am totally HOOKED. I went out to buy Series 2 as soon as I had seen Series 1 but could not get hold of it, however, I was able to buy Angel Series 1, and now I'm hooked on that. I have been able to get both Buffy and Angel Series 2 from but Series 3 for both are not released until next month. So what do I do? I have just bought the Box Set Buffy Series 1 - 7. OMG! I couldn't wait until March for 3 & 4 and then God knows when for 5, 6 & 7! Should be delivered Monday, so may not get on tmp much over the next few weeks.

I wonder when the rest of Angel will be released????????

Is this disorder something to worry about? Are there any more of people like me out there? Or am I just SAD!
  2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

My daughter somehow convinced her boyfriend to buy her the 10-season full boxed set of Friends. She already had the first four seasons that she had collected previously, which she has now passed on to her sister, who is similarly obsessed.

My wife is obsessed with 24. She hasn't actually purchased any of the box sets yet, but she keeps renting them over and over, so it would probably cost less if she did.
  3. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

24 - yes, that's another one that I would like to see, but at the moment I have to keep forcing myself not to 'go there'. I have to count to 10 and walk away from the shelves!
  4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Of course, my wife thinks that the fact that I spend all day at work on a computer and then the first thing I do when I get home is get in front of one there is just as insane (probably true!)
  5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Stay away from the 24-box! Once you have it, you will not be able to resist to watching all episodes in a row!

Highly addictive! ;)
  6. Di

Di Active Member

But this is normal, isn't it? :confused: Someone tell me it is! Please! ;)
  7. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Of course it is Di, but there are strange people out there who believe there is life other than the computer, sad I know!
  8. Di

Di Active Member

Oh come on! Thats taking things just tooo far! I mean, surely these people don't exist.
  9. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Sadly, this is true, but don't worry, we're not one of those strange people, relax. ;)
  10. Di

Di Active Member

Thanks for putting my mind at rest Susan, was getting quite worried there. I'm sure you're perfectly "normal" too. :biggrin:

My OCD is in the bedroom!

The quilt HAS to be flat and square on the bed. If its ruffled up anywhere, I can't settle. :frown: If there's too much over my feet, or if its got bunched up, I simply have to get out of bed and straighten it. I try ever so hard to ignore it, and the more I do, the longer I end up staying awake before I still end up getting up and straightening out! Makes things even worse at the mo that we have a cover with a squared pattern, highlights even more that its out of line. :eek:
  11. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

SNAP - see we are normal ;) I drive my hubbie mad on a night, especially if he is in first. Gotta have it straight!
  12. Di

Di Active Member

Wow! Maybe its us two who are normal and the rest of the world is crazy? :clap:

Yea, I drive hubby mad. Especially if the quilt is bunched up behind my back and he's got his arm out over the top. I have to lift, shove, flap, flatten. Drives him nuts. :tongue::frown:
  13. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Must be a guy problem ;)
  14. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

DVD box sets are amazing! They are the only thing thats getting me thru Uni at the moment!

Watched all of the OC series 1 and 2 last term,
    Currently working my way thru the 1st series of desperate housewives, and there are some friends ones hanging around my house.
    Waiting to get my hands of the 1st series of lost as i didnt get to watch it all on TV.

Keep buying!
  15. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I used to regualarly rent or buy DVDs but since obtaining the marvels of Sky + I've always got stuff to watch on there and so don't buy any more
  16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I treated myself to the "Sharpe" boxed set at Christmas, but only because (a) it was in the sale and (b) I'd had an unexpected bonus at work.
  17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Box sets are amazing, and living with 18 other people, all similarly obssessed, there's a lot of TV to watch! We have Friends, Scrubs, The OC, Teachers, Buffy, Angel, The Simpsons, The Office...all that AND two copies of Brassed Off! :biggrin:
  18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I bought seasons 1-5 of the Sopranos to give me something to do inbetween job hunting tasks - only have 4 episodes left to watch now and will miss it when it's over.
    (Season 6, 12 new episodes + 8 bonus episodes scheduled for Jan 2007 are currently being filmed)
  19. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I'm going through a phase at the moment of having to buy ever film my friends have ever seen :confused: If they tell me its good and I haven't seen it I have to get it. It gets quite expensive! And I'm totally obsessed with spooks at the moment, watched series 1-3 at least 10 times each :tongue: ​
  20. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I don't think this is a compulsive disorder at all. I have most of CSI, loads of comedy series (Fools and Horses, Phoenix Nights, Porridge etc).

I've also just bought the first and second series of the A-Team.

OK, so maybe I do have a problem. :oops: