Composers out of copyright

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, May 8, 2006.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Hi I wonder if someone can answer this question for me, I was just wondering if Gustav Holst's music is out of copyright and in the public domain?

Cheers in advance :tup

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    someone
    question
    domain
    copyright
    Composers
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

email Dave Payn Andy - he'll know.

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Don't think so!

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Holst died on 25th May 1934, so the copyright for most works would have expired on December 31 2004. As I understand it the exceptions would be any works produced in co-operation with others, and if the collaborator had outlived him. You may also need to be wary of any works that were edited by his daughter Imogen, in which case the copyright will not expire until 70 years after her passing.

6. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

As Peter said, Holst died in 1934, which meant that, generally speaking, his music entered the public domain on 1st January 2005. This is why I had to inform Sky TV that a performance I directed for a "Tree of Lights" service in Christmas 2004, needed copyright clearance for the carol "In the Bleak Midwinter". It is also the reason why I was able to write and publish a Christmas Piece using a quotation from the very same carol in Christmas 2005.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  7. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Yes, Holst is generally in the public domain. But there can always be works that are excepted - if they have lyrics by somebody still in copyright, or published posthumously.

The place to ask about a specific work is Repertoire Registry at PRS

http://www.prs.co.uk/