Composers not yet 'lost' to brass bands.

Discussion in 'Random Chat & Off Topic...' started by Thirteen Ball, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

(1) one complete and one in progress
    (2) undoubtedly - though not if this precluded properly testing and rehearsing it with a band, of course.
    (3) I'll let the conspiracy theorists handle that one.....

The only thing to bear in mind with this approach is that you're not likely to attract the highest level of composer with it - albeit you may well turn up some up-and-coming talent who will go on to great things.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Anno Draconis may shed some light in this area...

3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Active Member

ha ha ha :oops:

Why do you think I've never wagged Once and Future King at a contest? I mean, it's got 11/8 in it, for pity's sake.

4. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Oh, 11/8's easy. Pick any two consecutive non identical bars from most of the 1st Movement of Cross Patonce...

I would think for a compo of such "magnitude" a band might be hired for a weekend to play shortlisted pieces.

Is this enough of an idea to take to Kapitol?

5. Thirteen Ball

One supposes the other option is to simply forward your works for consideration to the various selection comittees.

I know Stan's enthusiastic about new repertoire for butlins, and I'm sure other contests will be too.

Shy bairns go hungry.....

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

True, but a compo would take out a barrier - that of "you" (really) "have to have a recording".

7. Thirteen Ball

Yeah, but if you don't have a recording, you don't have any way of proving if the piece works or not. Reading the dots from the paper is not necessarily enough even for the likes of Stan or Dick the stick and I can see why.

Seriously, book a band - which most of us can probably do for the promise of some beer for the players - buy a £50-ish digital recorder with a built in mic, (or borrow one) record the piece in bits, edit it together with audacity or similar (available free) and bob's your uncle.

It's really not a lot of effort to ask if you're serious about your pieces.

8. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

9. Thirteen Ball

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Leaving John Williams aside (but what a coup!) in favour of the extraordinary news that NABBA 2015 will be held here...

Talk about ambition... Imagine the hoo-ha from bands if we held the finals on the other side of the Atlantic. Don't know what to think about this about all - but it definitely sounds exciting!

11. Thirteen Ball

Indeed! And rumour has it, our finals will be held at Carnegie Hall!

12. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

I hope they get a decent turn-out from bands on this side of the ocean - a big big gamble this... Especially given that Michigan is far enough away from central banding territory in the US to discourage some of their regular attenders.

13. Thirteen Ball

There's even a rumour that all-new pieces have been arranged for the sections - none of them by Paul Lovatt-Cooper.

(Sorry, of course no-one would believe that as an April fool....)

14. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Oh... I'm an idiot... Carry on with the conversation as was...

<wanders away red-faced>

15. Thirteen Ball

Wait.... you mean you weren't in dead-pan sarcasm mode?

16. MoominDave

MoominDave Active Member

Hook, line and sinker! Reckon it shows what respect I've got for what our North American equivalents are capable of that I thought it might be possible. Or maybe it just shows that I'm a bit slow sometimes...

17. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

.....Not as slow as 4barsrest, it didn't appear on their site until this morning, isn't that very bad luck!!!?

18. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Nope, it went up there yesterday.

19. mjwarman

mjwarman Member

Did it? Oh well shows how much notice I take!! As you were.......