composer seeking residency with solid band

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by j_aaron_stanley, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Hello, Everyone:

I hope I'm posting in the right place! It appears everyone here is recruiting individual players, but I want to recruit a whole band! Allow me to begin by introducing myself, since I'm a brand new member. My name is J. Aaron Stanley, and I'm an American composer living in L.A. There aren't many brass bands out here, and fewer really good ones, so it's difficult for me to hear my stuff played. Some of my music can be quite difficult, though nothing, I'm sure, that many UK bands can't handle. ;) For more information on what I'm looking for, click here. Anyone can view and hear Scorch demos of all my currently available brass band works on my website at If you think my music might be a good match for your band, please speak with your music director about taking me on as a resident. I'm not seeking monetary compensation, merely a commitment to play, perform, and record my music when appropriate.

Thank you,
    J. Aaron Stanley

(P.S. You guys can just call me "Aaron!")
  2. composer-in-residence for Broxburn & Livingston

I would just like to announce that I've been accepted as the composer-in-residence for the Broxburn & Livingston Band in Scotland. Their conductor, Mark Bell, the Band Committee, and I are excited about the arrangement, and I look forward to a fruitful collaboration! The band is interested in casting themselves as a progressive and forward thinking band (appropriate given their recent merger and new conductor) and I believe that will make us a good match!

My music tends to be progressive in the sense that I've been influenced by certain compositional innovations of the 20th century such as bitonality, quartal harmony, parallelism (which is actually quite old), aleatoric music, minimalism, expanded instrumental techniques, etc. However, when I use such devices, it is for a section of a piece rather than the entire piece, which tends to make my music episodic in nature, and makes the piece as a whole quite approachable by a general audience. I view these techniques as part of an entire pallate of colors (or resources) at my disposal, and I use them when constructing a composition. Not that every piece I write utilizes these resources, but they come up again and again, depending on what mood I want to set.

As an example of what I've just described, take a look at my Rhapsody on Bring Your Torches and Variations on a French Carol. Or, for that matter, Southland Overture.

And for just a bit more shameless self-promotion, I would like to remind you that my music for brass band is available at, which includes some quite traditional Christmas arrangements for the faint of heart!