Commuting to Rehearsals/Gigs

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Eupher6, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Eupher6

Eupher6 Member

Understanding that a lot of nations use this board, I'm curious about the length of time it takes for you (anybody) to commute to rehearsals.

Many of you, I'm sure, are lucky enough to live in the same proximity as your band and thus, your commute time would be relatively short.

But those of us who live in larger countries (I'm a Yank in the US), commuting is most definitely a factor.

Most of the brass bands that compete are in the eastern U.S. and in the Midwest. Louisville, Kentucky, seems to be a focal point of sorts since next year's NABBA competition will be held there again. Out in the western U.S., there are but a handful of bands and if you want to participate, you've got to travel - to a point of course. To give you an example, I played in a band in the Provo, Utah, area. The closest viable band was in Las Vegas, Nevada, some 376 miles (601 km). The next closest band was in Phoenix, Arizona, 658 miles (1,052 km). There just aren't a lot of bands in the western U.S., save California.

So I'm curious - how far to you commute to get to rehearsal? How often do you rehearse?

Allen Lawless
  2. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

Welcome to the mouthpiece :D

I travel 250 yards to band, I could also travel an extra 400 yards to another band! In Yorkshire you are never more than a couple of miles away from bands of all standards. It's normally advisable to check out the local watering hole first, don't want to be paying through the nose for beer! lol
  3. Matt-Trom939

Matt-Trom939 Member

Well i live about a five miniute walk from my band hall, but i usually go in the car so i takes about 2 miniutes. We rehearse twice a week aswell.
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

i am 28 miles away from band and travel by car takes 30 mins
  5. jamieow

jamieow Member

Used to travel 6 miles to band before we moved from Rhos (village just outside of Wrexham) into Wrexham and changed our name.
    Travelled about 120 miles round trip when I played for Milnrow - 'bout 1hr 20 mins travel.
    Now travel 10 mins max from my house to band room at NEWI - Wrexham University of Wales College.
    Saying that, I commute from Wrexham to Cheadle Hulme everyday for work - 110 mile round trip...
  6. Di

Di Active Member

Hi there and welcome to tMP.

We've got a similar thread with many replies here.:)
  7. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

2 hour trip there, 2 hour trip back through to huds.. (not mentioning the band atm until its announced on their site) =)
  8. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I cycle to rehearsals, either 2 miles from work or 5 1/2 from home
  9. Horny Dentist

Horny Dentist Member

Me and around 10 of my friends travel a round trip of around 120 miles twice a week from Cardiff to Burry Port and back! It can get frustrating when you have to get up for univeristy lectures at 8:15 the next morning - wouldn't have it anyother way!
  10. Colin Hogg

Colin Hogg Member

A few years ago I was conducting Torbay Brass (very nice people!) It was a round trip of 370 miles from Swansea. 83 miles as the crow flies, but the Crow service is rubbish!!!
  11. BrotherBone

BrotherBone Member

I wouldnt fancy cycling to huddersfield with a trombone and a euph strapped to my back ;) ;)

Only 16 miles form band, but has taken various times to get there. once in 12 minutes:redface: when I was late in leaving and once 45 minutes when I got stuck behnd a tractor and then behind sheep on the road!

Not all bad then;)
  13. AlanD

AlanD Member

Takes me approx 5 mins cause I live near our band hall, hence why its always me opening up and locking up!!!!
  14. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

It's about 7-8 miles to band and it takes 15-20 minutes in the car. I'm lucky really, if I lived in another region it could be a lot further!
  15. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I live about 3-4 miles from band, and it takes about 15 minutes by car (or about 8 minutes by motorcycle!)

I usually have to scav a lift off some kind band memeber for gigs as it's hard to carry a BBb Bass on a motorcycle... Oo-er.
  16. tubaturk

tubaturk Member

Are you whingeing again Cled?;)
  17. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Takes me about 25-30 minutes in a car to get to Timperley, but there's always lifts coming from round our way to get there so it doesn't bother me.
  18. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

ok, i dont know about other locations and stuff, but im quite certain there are other bands closer to cardiff than that! if it could be avoided, why do people travel so far?
  19. vonny

vonny Member

:eek: You usually go in the car to band and it's only a five minute walk!
    Surely on a lovely summer's evening you would fancy a stroll to band?

Yvonne x:D
  20. Heppy

Heppy Member

Obviously Dave!