Community of the Year Awards from vBulletin.nl

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Oct 1, 2004.

1. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Edit: post removed so as not to wind up our "cousins" anyfurther!

craig

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

So which forum is best? Well, an obvious answer presents itself - where are the two sides debating it out?! :D

3. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Just thought I'd let everyone know that my attempt to join the CW forum has been rejected - seems a terrible pity when my sole intention in joining had been to post a positive comment regarding bugle playing which some of their members seemed to have a problem with - I guess they just don't need any help.

I'm glad at least our moderators aren't so pathetically closed-minded as to stop CW enthusiasts from joining tMP.

Ron

4. Henry_Rifle

Henry_Rifle New Member

Ron,

I've asked Paul to reconsider.

Jack Cox

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Ron -

After viewing their site, it appears they are a bit more picky about usernames as there intention is to keep things more serious. Thus the rule that all avatars must have the user in authentic civil war uni's (which I think looks kind of cool for them - espcailly the sepia colouring on many... but I'm not ready to have all our avatars be required to be in band uniforms). Anyways, apparently (and I don't know if they've told you this yet) if you just register with a bit more serious of a username (I'd imagine taking out "the lizard" would suffice, they said they' accept your registration in an instant).

Quoted from AC
    (Maybe they thought the tongue sticking out on your avatar was a bit too much ;)

6. super_sop

such a shame, mine was aswell, with no reson given in the email i recieved.

i actually wanted some help off them aswell with regards the light infantry regiment. i was led to believe that the original regiment was involved in the burning of the whitehouse, and wanted to know how true it was.

may be one of them could post something n here for me as they wont let me join.
    craig

7. MoominDave

8. Henry_Rifle

Henry_Rifle New Member

Craig,

Read post #145. The A/C site is constantly being trolled by reenactors who have little interest in authenticity, but rather participate in what we call "fun, family camping in hot, ugly wool clothing." Because of that usernames that are, how shall we say, "eclectic", are subject to scrutiny. With that in mind, you might understand how "Super_sop" could arouse suspicion. Apply with at least a semi-serious user name, contribute useful information and sign your posts, and I can't imagaine that you would be rejected.

Jack Cox
    Virginia Beach, VA

- Where every street, town and county has a British name.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2004
  9. super_sop

Hi Henry _Rifle, quite an eclectic name you have there!!!! (yes guys for once in my life i used a dictionary!)

What a shame you find my user name semi-serious, to me it is a very serious user name that i use on a plethora of fura. i maybe, as one of your members so intrestingly put it, a "clown", but This does not mean that i cannot contribute usefull information to your forum, or enter into debate on any number of subjects.

you can guarantee that i will no longer try to register on your site, i feel that any information that i require will be readilly availiable from the many friends on this and other fora.
    Thankyou and good evening.

Craig Foskett, Super soprano cornet player!

10. Henricus

Henricus New Member

Craig,

If you were to join you would be able to visit the members list. There you would find more than a few members in good standing that had their accounts suspended for hateful or racist comments. Other suspensions stemmed from members posting avatars of Nazis or disabled people. One member was suspended for hacking AOL accounts.

These off course have nothing to do with you. I have no idea why your membership was declined but if your username was deemed suspect it is because we have had problems in the past.

It isn't personal.

11. Henry_Rifle

Henry_Rifle New Member

Craig,

Sorry you can't take "yes" for an answer. :-D

By the way, Henry Rifle isn't eclectic in civil war jargon. It's the rifle that my g.g.grandfather carried for the 7th Illinois, and was called the "rifle that you could load on Sunday and fire all week long."

12. HBB

HBB Active Member

Don't come onto thee boards and start antagonising people, please!!!!! Let's show some respect.

13. JustRob

JustRob New Member

It's on. No, it's not on. Oh yes, it's on! - South Park

I wanted to drop by to add another A/C forum voice to the conversation.

I was in marching band at my college (university for you folks across the pond) for four years, and it was the best thing I did at school. I played baritone horn and was a section leader for the low brass section. I also made some of the best friends I've ever had.

Civil War reenacting has also allowed me to do some incredible things and meet some great people. In fact, I described my reenacting group to a band friend of mine as "the best group of people I've known since band."

Nowadays, my uniform is blue wool instead of polyester and I carry a musket instead of a horn, but other band experiences endure. I still keep step and march in formation, and have to keep my uniform and instrument in good order.

FYI, the muskets are not toys. They are fully functional reproductions and excellent firearms. I can put a .69 calibre ball and three .38 calibre buckshot into a pie plate at 50 yards on a consistent basis.

Maybe we could convince some of you to fall in with us some day and portray a good regimental band. We have a few groups in the hobby that already do this, and perform complete with "over the shoulder" period instruments. Very cool.

Good luck in the contest.

14. MoominDave

Woah, woah, HBB... I don't think there's any need for anyone to be getting too heated here...

Over-the-shoulder instruments - I knew I was missing something from my collection! Off to eBay to search for Helicons...

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Sorry! Was a little strong. But we don't go on their boards saying anything about their usernames etc.

16. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We're now 20 votes behind (121-141) c'mon folks get voting....

17. Henry_Rifle

Henry_Rifle New Member

All I was trying to do was help gain entry for some of you who might have wanted to see what the A/C was all about, and explain why some usernames might raise a flag. One of the reasons was this quote from your own community:

No insult was intended, just clarification.

18. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

My vote has just gone in after registering over there. :) Votes currently stand at 122.

To bring this back on topic though, good luck to all forums taking part in the competition and the best of luck tMP! :D

19. JustRob

JustRob New Member

Voting

I must admit I am edified by the fact that between the A/C Forum and tMP, the two web sites account for nearly 50% of all the votes cast.

I wonder if they'll give us credit for that alone.

From the field,

Robert Carter

20. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Vote Now

Despite the bravado of our Colonial friends there's still only 20 votes in this and tMP has only registered 123 votes - come on guys and gals for the honour of tMP get your votes on. There's only two formum in this and we ought to win out right.

Get VOTING.