Communicating With Band Members

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Kofi, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Kofi

Kofi Member

We have around 90 people involved in our organisation, which is our senior band, youth band, beginners group and committee. I've just sent an email out to everyone which I reckon about 80% will pay attention to. I also use facebook to get the news out, sometimes group text messages and the good old fashioned note home. We regularly email and print our calendar of events and have a google calendar.

However, I still get the feeling that not everyone seems to be getting the info they need, either because we have an out of date email address (just updated yet again) or the kids haven't passed on the messages etc.

Any novel ideas on communicating with the members en masse? I have heard about systems where you can set up something that allows you to send a group text message to loads of numbers without it costing a fortune. Has anyone got experience of this and if so any advice or even links?

Hope you're all enjoying preparations, aftermath of the regionals! We are :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    group text messages
    Band Members
    youth band
    beginners group
    senior band
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I think your siggy says it all - understand your members' needs in terms of receiving comms, then ask that your needs be understood - like "reply to my messages or I will hunt you down until you give me the answer". Oh, and request a read receipt for every email.

4. Our band use the group text message thing.. we get a text reminder on the day of rehearsals, sectionals etc. and to check our avaliability for upcoming events/sectionals/rehearsals. It works well in my opinion! maybe look into something like that? :)

5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Cascade the information through a person nominated per section. They can then disseminate and the information is fed back through them. For the younger members you could email the repsonsible adult for the child. If all else fails, get a megaphone and a vechile and drive around the village. (The last may have even less success, as it could be mistaken for a politician drumming up votes ;) )

6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

tell them at rehersal that if the job gets cancelled you will email them and let them know. if someone complains that they turned up for the gig and there was no one else there. Tell them. CHECK YOUR EMAIL !!! you were told.
    They might catch on .

7. marc71178

marc71178 Member

Personally I'm not a fan of email as a communication form in this kind of thing. Firstly, still not everyone has it and secondly it doesn't always get through.

Then there's how often are players expected to check their email and also timings to consider - what if it's cancelled 2 hours before the scheduled start?

The phone chain is the best way for me. Secretary rings 5 designated people, who spread the word to their section / family / set group of people (delete as appropriate)

8. whitewitch

whitewitch Member

That is similar to us. The Chairman contacts the committee members, each who have a group of about 5 people they are responsible for. It has worked for us for years. We call it the 'Snow phone list', as that is the main reason for using it in Saddleworth :)

9. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

'Lack of communication', is always top of the gripe list in bands.
    It is a logistical mare, trying to keep in touch with every member of an organisation.
    Unfortunately, whether you use text/e-mail, through to carrier pigeon, you will always find one who will claim he/she "wasn't told":mad:
    Goes with the territory, I'm afraid!!

10. DCWOODS

DCWOODS Member

At Ebbw Valley Brass, we try to cover as many angles as possible. I send a text out to all members (mobile and home), email where appropriate and post it onto our Facebook page/account.

For those that do not have mobiles, emails or the internet (yes I couldn't believe it either!), I make a personal phone call to them or ask a Committee Member to do so on my behalf.

A further backup of correspondence is then handed out of leaflets if needed e.g. confirmation of times, arrangements, etc.