Common decency to respond?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Simon Preshom, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Hello everyone,

I think TMP is a very good facility and has really increased the opportunities for bands to chat to one another, share ideas and recruit players. With the latter however, I would make a plea......if you advertise yourself as a dep, or looking for a band....have the common decency to respond to those who invite you to a rehearsal or to an audition. Ok, the opportunity might not be after, but spare a thought for the person who has taken the effort to contact you.

Rant over.
  2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It might be that the person in question no longer finds time to look at tMP.
  3. agentorange

agentorange Member

In which case why advertise yourself?
  4. MoominDave

What's the date on the thread? Maybe they did keep tabs on it for a while, but enough time has passed for their interest in the site to have lapsed.

I don't know what the context is here, but the facts, as laid out, don't automatically point to the player having done anything morally wrong... And there's usually a polite explanation for this kind of thing.
  5. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Had a panicky moment there and checked "my" dep thread. No replies. *Phew*.

Maybe the person doesn't "notify by e-mail" set, and maybe they don't check it every day since there aren't often replies. Have you tried a pm?
  6. leisa

leisa Active Member

If you sent a PM then i agree it is a bit rude not to reply! Although as Flugelgal said if it was a response to a thread they may not get notified, I don't myself and its difficult to check the thread every day as i have absolutely no idea where 'my' dep thread is and dont really have the chance to go through the whole area, or all my posts looking for it...its no where near the top of the pile anyway so I presume there are no replys :biggrin:
  7. MoominDave

Even if they sent a PM, there are reasons why it might not have reached the person - maybe the notification was sent to an out-of-date email account, for example.
  8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Which is ultimately their own responsibility, and not that of the person sending the pm!
  9. MoominDave

But if they don't check tMP any more, and have also changed their email account, why would they think of updating it here?
  10. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I can kind-of sympathise here. A band quite near me advertised for a player. I responded saying that I would happily help them out for a short period until they found someone regular. Do you think they got in touch?
  11. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

Simon, you seem to be assuming the worst about the player's character when there's probably a really simple reason for not being able to receive or respond to invitations - sick, working away, heavily commited, family issues, on tour, internet broke, laptop stolen..... Who knows? Maybe that individual has had a personal issue with another member in your band and just doesn't want the confrontation or embarrassment for themselves or the other player. (Please don't read anything into that for your band it's just that I have seen it happen elsewhere.)

As I see it, the responsibility for fixing a dep lies with the fixer until it's resolved and if you don't get a response from one, try the next until your job's done. Doesn't seem fair to flame potentially willing people without knowing why you're doing it...
  12. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

apologies, both belated and in advance for those times when I'm not available on an internet forum 24/7 to reply to my highly active dep thread from 2003 ish...
  13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Slacker ;)