Commitment

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by eric, Feb 24, 2004.

1. eric

eric Member

Is it acceptable on the build up to a major competition such as the area that people should miss band practice? Other than work commitments there should be no excuses. :evil:

2. HBB

HBB Active Member

I think that especially up to the areas you should try to turn up to band as much as possible, obviously work, family, or health may be in the way of turning up, but I think that everyone should make the effort.

Our band very rarely has everyone together before the final rehersal, which can be really annoying!

3. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I think that everyone should make a good effort to turn up to every rehearsal nevermind whether it's the areas coming up or not!
    If, say, a player only comes to just one rehearsal a month, what's the point!? Especially in higher sections, it can get very annoying!
    If you have a member that seems to be missing lots of rehearsals for no reason then i'd warn them you might give them the boot! :twisted: Lol! :lol:
    Brass banding (and all music ensembles I suppose) are all down to team work, and if certain members of the "team" aren't making an effort to turn up, then the team may not do as well as it could do.
    If that makes sense :? :D

4. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

I think a lot of it is complacency.
    some people know a band cant replace them easily and so take it for granted there will always be a seat for them.
    this is especially true in Scotland where their seems to be a shortage of players whatever level you are playing :(
    what makes it really annoying with the areas is the conductor having to go over the same things again when the slackers do swan in :evil:

5. Kernewek Den

Kernewek Den Member

Contest or not here is no excuse for missing practice - other than the unavoidable :x

6. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

We are fortunate, that at the moment we have a very full band, in fact 2 brass players will be playing perc. at the area so they can be involved.

Because we have a full band, people seem to very rarely miss rehearsals as they know people are waiting to jump into their seats for contests!

Commitment is year long, work, family, health etc aside, not just as and when required. Remember to adapt the RSPCA phrase regarding dogs:

A Band is for life, not just for contests :oops:

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure whether I've posted this before, but when Albert Chappell was MD of City of Coventry he also had an excellent "B" band. I understand that in addition to attending their own practices, "B" band players were also expected to turn up to the "A" band rehearsals, and would be asked to step in if the relevant "A" band player failed to arrive on time, with every possibility of retaining the position if that happpened. Certainly one way to keep people on their toes, but I don't somehow think people would go along with it today :!: :wink: :lol:

8. Steve

Steve Active Member

I missed a rehearsal the other day due to being ill and felt really guilty, I cant think of many absentees from any of our rehearsals especially before a concert/contest. Apart from health, unavoidable work, legitimate personal problems I see no reason to ever miss a rehearsal. People thinking they can hold their band to ransome are a disgrace and as arguably the best player in my band I would still expect to be infront of the committee if I was unnecessarily missing rehearsals. The better players should be setting the example, not taking liberties!!!! Ggrrrrrr!!

9. Tromgod

Tromgod Member

I used to have lessons with the late Albert Chappell & I can believe what Peter said is absolutely true. I have heard various other stories when he has taken other bands. He expected nothing but total commitment from his players and anybody that didn't meet this would be replaced. I suppose there were players readily available back then which might not be the case nowadays.

He was a superb teacher and commanded huge respect, though.

10. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

I think if you join a band, at whatever level, you should be as commited as you can. As has been said, when it is unavoidable that you miss a practice (ie for health/family reasons) then even if you are a 'key player', then the band should understand. But if you're only reason is you can't be bothered, then maybe playing in a band isn't for you.
    As a child I was encouraged to go to band, even if it was boring at times, I gritted my teeth and got on with it. I don't think any rehearsal was or is 'exciting', but wihout the practice you won't have good concerts/contests.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    PS
    Anyone
    Our Alice
    Fantasia 2000
    light
  12. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

I think sometimes people who are slackers do not realise a difference they make to a band.

For the first time in a few years, Rothwell has a very settled team which has a full band most weeks (unless of illness or some work catastrophe!) and as result the band gets through so much more work because it does not have to back-track constantly (as somone else has already mentioned).

It is always interesting to see how players buck their ideas up when there is a threat of someone else taking their chair though, suddenly they are at every rehearsal, on time and playing well!

John

13. MattB

MattB Member

As an MD I would say that unless working or there has been a death in the family people should not miss rehearsals.

As a player there have been plenty of times when I have had that 'Can't be a**ed feeling' and missed, but then felt guilty about letting the band down afterwards!

But maybe that's just me......!

14. jambo

jambo Member

Lot of good points here, work or death are the only reasons for missing. As was said in an earlier thread about 'slack banders' its usually the same people who miss, so if they dont pull thier weight, sack them. If only it were that easy.

I'm missing going to Cardiff (I know its only Boro but its my team)on Sunday for a rehersal with our pro conductor for the areas. Yet as I was leaving band last night I heard some one (who missed last week for a sore throat!) saying they had family then for dinner so couldn't make it...*!@£$%!*&^%!£@

Did I hold my tongue...?
    Pathetic!

15. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Yep.
    I'd say so Jimmy oo oo

16. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

You've got to be on pretty sure ground when you start criticising people for missing practices due to family commitments - some people take the family meal on a Sunday, for instance, very seriously. Remember - Blood is thicker than Brass.

If I make a commitment to someone/thing then I am loath to break it. I miss the odd band practice (not many) because I have a life outside band and sometimes it conflicts with practices (I try to avoid it). I remember someone being criticised for going out for her best friend's birthday on a band night - but what would you rather? Skip a band practice or risk losing a good friend? I know where I stand on that one. Of course if people are skipping all the time then they should review whether they have the time/commitment to put into the band.

17. andyp

andyp Active Member

I think the level being played at makes a big difference (and should) to the way perpetual missers are treated. If you're at the top, you can be sacked and replaced (relatively) easily, there are always players wanting to get in. At 3rd/4th section level this is rarely the case! At our level (3rd) it's very easy to get ambitious and lose sight of the fact that it's a hobby first and foremost, but a hobby that demands a pretty high level of commitment if you're to get the most enjoyment out of it. If you're not enjoying it at all you should probably consider another interest.
    I gave up playing hockey to join a championship section band, simply because I realised I couldn't give full commitment to both, and I was better at cornet than hockey! I do really miss it, though. Two years later I had to give up playing in the top section, when we started a family and I couldn't afford the time away from home (an hour's drive each way to rehearsal, 2 weeks solid for the Masters, etc). Again, I miss it a lot, but I had to be honest with myself and realise that you can't do everything.
    Brass banding is not an 'occasional' hobby, you only get out of it what you put in.

18. Big Fella

Big Fella Member

It does not matter what level you play at, if somebody is missing a rehearsal, without a wothwhile reason, then they are letting the whole band down. How many times have you gone to rehearsal, and the person who missed the previous rehearsal, asking questions that have already been answered..
    It's always the same people, who turn up late week in week out, who also miss rehearsals, and never seem to have a reasonable excuse..
    It does not matter if it's a month or a week before a contest, bums on seats, or stood at the back, improves the band..

19. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Of course people should try and turn up, but that doesn't mean they should be chastised for not doing so! The other day I was preparing for band practise when I was told there was a concert on that night at St. Pauls in Hudds. I needed to attend (as part of my course) so I had to miss the rehearsal.

I think the Areas are important to just about everyone, but also there are things which are even more important which in some (particularly lower) sections which must take precedence ... e.g. work.

20. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Our band has too many players for all to play at the Scottish Championships... :? (which can be a good thing because if you don't turn up you might not get to play..)

Also, there's a shortage of bands up here (Sunny Aberdeen) - maybe that's the difference. I would love to play flugel but they all have flugel players, so, short of travelling a long distance to a different band my only alternative is to play cornet.

I know what you mean though, when I played with another band we often struggled for regular committed players - they knew that the band couldn't afford to lose them, or they saw other people not turning up and got annoyed and did the same... or they put other committments first and didn't realise that they were letting the band down by doing so.

Kirsty

21. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I think the bigger problem is home practice. Since I moved up to solo I have to do quite a lot of work (well some :wink:) on my parts. What I find annoying is players (esp on solo positions) who blantantly haven't practiced parts that they need to, even looking at it once outside band can make the difference and I'm sure everyone can squeeze in the odd half hour.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    PS
    Anyone
    Our Alice
    Fantasia 2000
    light