comments on artist management agencies

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TrumpetNick, Oct 20, 2010.

1. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

Hi Folks, Did any of you used the services of diary management agencies for musicians such as ? If so, were you satisfied by the amount and quality of the gigs they provided for you?
  2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Morgensterns are one of the most respect diary services, but that is what they are a diary service enabling fixers to have a central point of contact, they will tell you that unless you are already working for several orchestral contractors they may not be for you.

They may suggest you to a fixer if they are ringing last minute but do not 'find' you work!
  3. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

I guess that occasional, last minute gigs would be better than no gigs at all. I suppose that if I had fixed regular gigs with one or more contractors I would not even bother to google agencies and spend time to find more about them on the net, contacting people that I have never met etc...I don't plan to sit down and wait till Morgensterns or another agency I may register with give me a call for an eventual gig. I am just trying to make my own assessment would be best course of action, what is worth paying for considering that moneywise it will be really tight for me next few months etc. Obviously, I will reconnect with the few people I know in London, but cannot rely solely on them to get work. I have never used a professional diary service before, so I just try to understand how things work.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

MAS (Musicians' Answering Service) is the one I use and have been a member for some years. I have heard a few horror stories about Morgensterns!

I think Vegasbound has hit the nail on the head. In order to fully benefit from a diary service, you need to be reasonably established already. A diary service won't 'find you gigs' as they do not operate as an agency as such. However, an orchestral manager may have a handful of names on their deps list and simply contact the diary who will direct them to the first person on the list who happens to be free. When an orchestra wants to engage me, they will phone the diary and ask them for my availability. Depending on my instructions, they will either accept the job or refer it back to me for approval. There are some orchestras on my black list who I won't work for too :eek:

That said, I have on many occasions been called in at last minute, so in that respect, I would not have got that engagement had I not been a member of the diary.

I suppose it all boils down to a simple fact: if the diary come up with one decent gig per quarter that you wouldn't have got yourself, then it's paid for itself. After that, anything else is a bonus. And remember, diary service fees can be written off against tax :D

TrumpetNick, I've had quite a lot of experience freelancing professionally and I've worked for almost every orchestra in the UK. PM me if you need any more info or phone me for a chat any time.