Comments from the Owner....

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by TheMusicMan, Feb 21, 2006.

1. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I agree. If Dr Aitken would care to discuss the Holocaust and the Third Reich in depth, I'll be more than happy to oblige, albeit with a slightly personal bias. I'm disappointed that BBW would print it in the first place, but I suppose I should have come to expect it from a magazine which is so fundamentally behind the times given that both tMP and 4BR can deliver banding news as it happens rather than 4-6 weeks after the event.

2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Presumably that's why doctors have to swear a hypocritic oath. Boom boom.

(Sorry, I heard that BBW were looking for a new humourist).

D

3. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Blimey!

Firstly can I make it absolutely clear that I am not the Dr Murray Aitken of BBW fame.

If I were then I would certainly be consulting my Brief (of Sue, Grabbit and Run, Bethnal Green Office) as to whether being "outed" on a discussion forum such as this constituted a breach of confidentiality by the site owner.

I am a retired bandsman (most of my most productive years were spent on the tambourine) who now makes a modest living on the East End pub circuit with my exotic dance act involving a Pearly King costume and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

I was once before mistaken for a doctor by a deaf woman many years ago whilst working in the Docks. This resulted in an unexpected breast examination and a nasty infection.

If I were to venture a medical opinion here it would be that the owner of this site is finding it rather too stressful and has become somewhat paranoid at what is, after all free publicity. Then again, what do I know?

BTW. I did read the column in BBW and laughed till the buttons began to fly from my stage costume. I missed the bit about finding Nazis funny tho'. Perhaps you are thinking of Mel Brooks?

Glad to have cleared that up.

Bob

PS I will be in the Kebab and Calculator Public House in Stepney on Thursday night as support act to a one-armed trombonist.

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Why openly criticise a free website there for the use of those who wish to use it?

It's quite simple, if you don't like it, stay away from it. If you feel threatened by it, look the other way. It's a simple brass chat forum for crying out loud and does no harm to anyone. If you're so insecure or foolish that you feel the need to attack it to bouy yourself up then you desperately need something else in your life.

tMP provides everything a family friendly Brass Band Chat forum should provide, and more.
    If you want to discuss music or instrumentation with other perhaps more knowledgable people - it's there.
    Indeed, if you want to discuss anything brass band related with like minded or perhaps more knowledgable people - it's there.
    If you want to discuss contests - it's there.
    It you want to recruit players (permenantly or as a guest dep) - it's there.
    If you even just want to pass your time discussing or participating in totally non brass banding related subjects and topics - it too is there (completely ignorable if that kind of thing doesn't ring your bell).
    If you want smutty, lewd, insulting or libellous conversation then find some other place to do it because tMP is excellently monitored to ensure that this kind of rubbish is filtered out.

And it's all totally free, purely by voluntary participation and forced upon no-one.
    tMP has undoubtedly forged relationships and friendships between players and bands that would otherwise not have happened, and has brought a sizeable chunk of the brass banding community much closer together. This can only be good for the movement as a whole.
    Ignore and rise above the half-wits who criticise your website John, you provide a fantastic service for those of us who appreciate and use it, and long may that continue.

5. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Actually, you were outed back in 2004 by someone not connected with the ownership or management of this site.

We had a clown like this back in the early days of Nigel's mailing list - went under the name of "the brass band police" - could this be the same person maybe?

6. rutty

rutty Active Member

Because people are free to have an opinion?

I know it's disappointing to be criticised in the press, but these are only two incidents whereas this site is supported positively by hundreds of active users every day. You can't be liked by everyone - tMP is what it is and many, many people, including myself, love coming here to read about Brass Band-related discussion and general chat among fellow banders.

Dr Aitken may not have expressed an opinion to the liking of many people here, but he's free to do that if he wants. I don't agree with him and I'm sure that most people here don't either.

Let's focus on the positives. I'm quite happy with the level of moderation here and long may it continue. :)

7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I don't know why it is, but I get particularly annoyed by injustice.

After reading this thread I am positively fuming with anger.

Although my experience of such fora as tMP is limited (how many hours are there in a day?:rolleyes: ) I wonder that anyone who has ever been on here can feel that it isn't operated in a fair, reasonable and wholly professional manner.

And before anyone starts a rumour that I'm a goody two shoes, I'm sure the mods will bear witness that I have had my wrists slapped a time or two for typing from the lip!:eek:

I think the vast majority of tMPers realise how much they have benefitted from this free forum and will treat such accusations with a pinch of salt. We've already (allegedly) uncovered one case of mistaken identity, maybe there's now another going on.

My word, John, is that you ignore this idiocy, having written to the rag (and the band) concerned and warned them that any more uncorroborated, false statements will result in legal action and then carry on serving the people who are really grateful for what you are providing, which is the best BB forum on the web. (IMHO :rolleyes: :clap: :clap: )

8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Although that is true of the 'real' world, it is not true of privately owned web sites. I am a Supermoderator on another (non band) forum and there are frequent moans about peoples 'Rights' and 'Free Speech' etc by a small minority. But they fail to realise that they actually have no 'rights' whatsoever!! Only permission to use the site, at the Owners discretion and that can be removed anytime the Owner feels like it. So if Dr Aitken is a member here, he has to agree to play by the rules (and those rules can be anything the owner desires*)

*On that topic, John, are you sure it's in the rules that I can only visit here, while wearing the pink bunny suit? I can't find it written anywhere! It's not too bad this time of the year, but most unpleasant in the summer. ;)

9. rutty

rutty Active Member

His comments were not made on tMP and so can't be governed by the rules of this site, though I agree with what you are saying. I'm also a moderator on another site and more than familiar with people's lack of rights to post on fora such as this.

I don't think John should be too worried about one person's opinion even if he has managed to get it printed in a magazine. It's not nice to be openly criticised in any capacity but then you can't please everyone all of the time. The moderators here do a brilliant job of keeping order and long may that continue.

Those that don't like it can go read the BBW I suppose.

10. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

I would take it to heart too much John, there is a great deal of support for this site and its done more to bring the banding community together than any number of "hack rags" who seem to do very little for the movement outside of the "Elite" bands.

Perhaps all the tMP members should boycott BBW until Dr Aitken either prints a public apology or they stop printing his drivel! (mind you I don't get BBW anyway, now I remember why!).

11. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

Isn't that a tad extreme?!

12. Val

Val Member

Just to return to the beginning (ie Trefor band's conduct rather than the Doctor), I have never seen a band publicly s****ed off on this forum - sure, there are many differences of opinion and arguments, but the moderators seem to operate very strict rules and remove offending posts. I have been on the committee of my band for many years and would be apalled and ashamed if we had ever acted in this manner against a band member, without providing any documentary proof or giving him the opportunity to explain himself. If you read the link in Hellraiser's post, it seems fairly clear that Rhodri was treated harshly and, just as important, that tmp have no involvement.

All I can say is, keep up the good work John. Oh, and Rhodri, if you want to continue your banding you need travel no further than ourselves to be assured of a very warm welcome. This may be my last post as I'm off to live in the South of France (without internet) so ... au revoir et bonne chance!

13. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

Is this a wind up? :confused:

14. Di

Di Active Member

Val ... many thanks for your words of support both to Rhodri and John and the team.

We wish you all the best for your future across the sea. No internet access??:eek: How will you survive? Hope you manage to get hooked up and will find time in your busy new life to visit us again. :)

Unfortunately not.

15. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Maybe part of the problem here is that having no signature leaves you open to suspicion, if we are all who we say we are, then we can all have a accurate Sig. and we all know who we are talking to!

Garry Hallas
    MD Emley Brass Band

16. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

First can I wholeheartedly endorse all the positive messages of support that this site has had. I discovered it just over 6 months ago and have found it to be entertaining, informative, intelligent, funny and thought provoking. That I have had this much fun from something which is provided free by someone just because they want to do it fills me with respect and admiration (and even a warm fuzzy feeling inside sometimes).

Second, bear in mind that Golwg (and Cymro for that matter) as Welsh language publications with a strong Nationalist bias have a limited readership and an even more limited range of contributors. They cannot afford to alienate their small readership and even smaller constituency of contributors by indulging hemselves in editorial control; as a result on bad days they both have something of a reputation for allowing their writers' prejudices and personal hobby horses to pass into print unchecked and uncorroborated. It would appear that tMP has been a victim of this laziness. However the accusations appear to have originated from Seindorf Trefor and I suggest that John should write to them asking them to explain and retract these accusations. I would be interested to know the thoughts of the remaining members of Seindorf Trefor on this matter - are there any here?

Third, I bought BBW for the first 2 months it came out and haven't since, because it's bobbins. I'd ask them for an explanation and retraction too; the comment about "Nazis and Sunday School teachers" is stupid bordering on offensive, and possibly actionable by m'learned friends (although I presume you've better things to spend money on, like more funky new features for tMP:cool: )

17. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Thanks for the support from everyone, much appreciated. Val- thanks for the kind offer but I joined Llanrug shortly after this farce, in time for Pontins, and am enjoying it there.

Some have suggested contacting the band committee in question. I don't rate your chances of a reply. I shall explain.

It is already in the public domain that two veterans and stalwarts of Trefor band, who I have a lot of respect for, resigned specifically because of the treatement I had received. They wrote to the committee expressing their dissatisfaction and raised a few questions. There was no reply, so they sent another letter but again no reply. It seems the committee has chosen to ignore these two gentlemen even though between them they have served the band for 100+ years.

I think so. Again, I don't rate your chances of a reply/explanation. No one from the band were prepared to speak on Gwilym Owen's programme on Radio Cymru this week.

18. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Posting an unpopular opinion about a website and its members within the confines of the website privy only to its members is one thing.

Trashing said website and it's members in a public medium is entirely another - and completely inappropriate. Because now the public has now been presented a poor opinion of something they probably didn't even know existed... and you know what they say about first impressions.

And therein lies the rub: because his comments were made in public with no previous public knowledge of how well the site is run and how much the members like it, the public is forced to base their first impressions on one man's poor opinions.

It's no different than those B.S. 'reality' shows where a family member chooses to air the dirty laundry on the tellie for the world to see, rather than solve the problem at home. What are your first impressions of those people? (Jerry Springer reference, anyone?)

Again, it's bunk. And I honestly think that the guy should either print a retraction with an apology, or if that's not possible - someone submit a rebuttal on behalf of tMP. Based on some other comments I've read both elsewhere and here, Brass Banding is slowly losing the public interest somewhat and doesn't need any negative publicity as such - especially the unfounded rubbish that was published.

Without something of the sort, the public will pretty much just go on without the knowledge that "The moderators here do a brilliant job of keeping order and long may that continue" because people these days don't have a long-enough attention span to come visit the site and see for themselves.

I know I'd be mad if someone pulled that trick on me. You're a better man than I am, John.

19. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

He didn't even actually call the guy a Nazi either! He said that the journalists justification of why the intrusive behaviour could be likened to the attempted justification by the Nazi Concentration Camp guards that they were merely following orders and that they themselves weren't to blame.
    He never actually said they were (or were like) like Nazi's, but that comparisons could be drawn between their spineless attempt at blame shifting .