Comet heading for crash

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Oct 18, 2006.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Our new telly's just given up the ghost. I wouldn't mind quite so much but it's a replacement (3 months ago) for the old new telly that blew up after 3 months. :mad: I've heard of built-in obsolescence but this is ridiculous. They can't get an engineer out before next Tuesday, (on an all-day call-out, 08:00 - 18:00), and if we can't keep that appointment it's not possible to book engineers ahead for more than 2 weeks.:mad:
    I really, really don't understand why they can't give you a better call-out time. In the old days an engineer would have a job sheet listing all the places he was going to in an area, and you could at least get morning or afternoon, if not a couple of hours. Why is this suddenly no longer possible?:mad:
    And I'm left with the prospect of several totally TV free days with a very annoyed LittleBabyBadger :frown:. Thankfully we are taking ourselves off to visit Jessop-Smythe (yes, he does know) while EvilDaddyBadger goes to China, and he has an enormous telly/DVD/video/stereo thing which I have no idea how to work. Last time I played with it it took him 20 minutes to reset the wretched thing.
    Badger needs a drink.:tongue:
    BMB
    xx

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Oddly enough, my mum's telly packed in a couple of days ago and I never realised how difficult it would be to get a replacement for a tube model. I had Argos, Comet and Curries earmarked for a buy until I stumbled into Cash Converters where I discovered a refurbished Toshiba 28" Widescreen with built-in dolby decoder for £80. Got it to my mum's and has a great picture and sound. Hopefully it will last her a few years! (...touch wood)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  3. annieds

annieds Member

I read this thread title as 'cornet heading for crash' and felt waves of sympathy.Can't feel the same about the television, though. My particular poison is the radio. If R4 went I would not know what to do with myself. I love being read to and I don't need the pictures. Our youngest (currently watching 'The Last Samurai' so not perfect yet) has introduced his friends to R4 and R7comedy.

On the obselescence front, though, it does seem a little early for the thing to die and quite a while for you to wait. I'd have thought that after so short a time you could have expected an immediate replacement rather than a wait for the engineer.

A whole load of TV-free days to think up a halloween costume!

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Hehe - glad I wasn't the only then! And there I was blaming Mr. Strongbow.......