Comet heading for crash

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Oct 18, 2006.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Our new telly's just given up the ghost. I wouldn't mind quite so much but it's a replacement (3 months ago) for the old new telly that blew up after 3 months. :mad: I've heard of built-in obsolescence but this is ridiculous. They can't get an engineer out before next Tuesday, (on an all-day call-out, 08:00 - 18:00), and if we can't keep that appointment it's not possible to book engineers ahead for more than 2 weeks.:mad:
    I really, really don't understand why they can't give you a better call-out time. In the old days an engineer would have a job sheet listing all the places he was going to in an area, and you could at least get morning or afternoon, if not a couple of hours. Why is this suddenly no longer possible?:mad:
    And I'm left with the prospect of several totally TV free days with a very annoyed LittleBabyBadger :frown:. Thankfully we are taking ourselves off to visit Jessop-Smythe (yes, he does know) while EvilDaddyBadger goes to China, and he has an enormous telly/DVD/video/stereo thing which I have no idea how to work. Last time I played with it it took him 20 minutes to reset the wretched thing.
    Badger needs a drink.:tongue:
    BMB
    xx

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Oddly enough, my mum's telly packed in a couple of days ago and I never realised how difficult it would be to get a replacement for a tube model. I had Argos, Comet and Curries earmarked for a buy until I stumbled into Cash Converters where I discovered a refurbished Toshiba 28" Widescreen with built-in dolby decoder for £80. Got it to my mum's and has a great picture and sound. Hopefully it will last her a few years! (...touch wood)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2006
  3. annieds

annieds Member

I read this thread title as 'cornet heading for crash' and felt waves of sympathy.Can't feel the same about the television, though. My particular poison is the radio. If R4 went I would not know what to do with myself. I love being read to and I don't need the pictures. Our youngest (currently watching 'The Last Samurai' so not perfect yet) has introduced his friends to R4 and R7comedy.

On the obselescence front, though, it does seem a little early for the thing to die and quite a while for you to wait. I'd have thought that after so short a time you could have expected an immediate replacement rather than a wait for the engineer.

A whole load of TV-free days to think up a halloween costume!

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

Hehe - glad I wasn't the only then! And there I was blaming Mr. Strongbow.......

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice