Comeback or dissapear?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ScreamingSop, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

This thread is from a discussion a few people from my band were having (over a few beers of course)
    When you go to an own choich contest there are a few test pieces that you EXPECT to hear, the ones that constantly appear at own choices, such as, Paganini, English Heritage, Tallis Variations and Contest Music.
    From recent test piece compositions, which of these pieces do we think will just dissapear after the one initial contest and which do we think will become old faviorates like the ones mentioned.

I would like to think that Coventry will become a faviorate, i loved working on it and its simply a great piece.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    test piece compositions
    beers
    course
    pieces
    ones
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I've a funny feeling 'Music Of The Spheres' (Sparke) will appear more and more on the contest stage during the next couple of years. 'Rienzi' will be dropped like a ton of bricks though!

4. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

cant think that our nationals piece "king of elflands daughter" will be used much, i didnt really like it but the tune was annoyingly catchy, so you ended up humming it all the time. was a decent piece tho

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I quite like Rodney Newton's work as well (one of his better pieces). Depends on how you label a band work as a 'classic' which merits repeat performances. Too few composers, in my opinion, are considered for exposure in the contest arena. And the few who are 'selected' are used until they are bled dry! :-?

6. JR

JR Member

Interesting that you include Tallis - with it's quiet ending - i can't think of another popular own choice that ends quietly - all the others you mention have blockbuster finishes
    Of recent compositions I think St Magnus will become a favourite - pity it is so technically difficult...
    Martin Ellerby's Chivalry will get a few airings i would imagine (even with some of the corny tunes)
    Sorry i cannot agree with Coventry Variations - massively over-rated for me
    It's also worth pointing out that hardly any bands risk older test pieces for own choice these days

john r

7. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

Resurgam has a quiet ending, thats always a good one that is usually aired by a few 2nd section or very ambitious 3rd section bands.
    Yeah agree with chivalry, its a difficult piece, saw a 2nd section band try to play it last year and wasnt impressed, we've played it to death at uni and loved it cos of the tunes in it (they are slightly corny, thats why i like em)
    st magnus is a good un too but dont think "all the flowers" will be used again.
    after all the older pieces being used in this years area, it would be good to have a bunch of new ones next year.

Mentioned tallis as a faviorate becuase no matter what own choice championship section contest im playing at, there is always ONE band that plays it, along with about 3 that attempt paganini

8. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I also agree with Coventry, its hard work, but great to play (especially the Sop part). I would like to see it played more often.
    I also liked the Nationals test piece of 2003 (I think), the Eric Ball arangements of Elgar's Enigma Variations. Its a fantastic piece, would also like to hear that more.

9. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Prague springs to mind as one that may never/rarely make an appearance as an own choice because it received a bit of a panning from bandsmen during the 2003 Areas. This is a shame, because despite also initially loathing it, it has grown a little on me, particularly the middle movements. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for other works by Bingham. :)

10. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I know its not a top section piece but Northern Landscapes from the other year was a cracking piece, a good own choice for lower section bands I think.

Jazz i loved it, would like to see that played although i don't know how viable it would be for an own choice contest.

For oldies i'd like to play variations on a 9th and variations on the shining river...good pieces that deserve an airing (plus they've got canny euph parts ;))

11. baribari

baribari Member

to stay:

Spectrum (anything by vinter really!), English Heritage, Montage, year of the dragon, Between moon and mexico (in fact most sparke stuff), paganini variations (you wont hear much wilby unless its a top band), tallis variations, contest music, essence of time, whitsun wakes, 3 figures (anything herbert howells too!), ballet for band, un vie de matelot, sounds, resurgam, triticco, etc...

to go:

"...all the flowers of the mountain..." (sorry mr ball), Albion, seid, maunsell forts, prague, ...er ... there must be more...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    test piece compositions
    beers
    course
    pieces
    ones
  13. BigMal

BigMal New Member

I can only hope you are right about Prague's future, lets hope Maunsell Forts joins it in the land of the lost

14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Totally agree, a great piece to listen to and to play from what I remember.

15. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Tallis would have to be one of my favs. The quiet ending is supurb. So different. Bitch of a sop part though! ;)

16. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

As mentioned before 'Purcell Variations' is a common choice but I do think it's a fab piece. For those pieces you wish will stay buried- has to be 'The Deep- Bram Wiggins' it was our piece at Pontins (2nd Section) and it wasn't really a big hit with many of the bands!

17. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

ditto on those from your list...Although I think "All the Flowers" may make a 1 or two contest comeback if revisited in five years...

I think someday "Masters of Time and Space" will make a comeback too.

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Were we ever given ever given a valid excuse why this Broughton work wasn't used for the Open? This is one work I would like to hear (... I have tried for a few years to try and get a copy of Illinois playing it at the 2001 NABBA Championships! No joy!).

19. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

i would like to hear bourgeouis' (spelling!?!?!) Divertions again soon, great piece (solid sop part). Esscence of time is great, along with shining river.
    Think tristan will stay around for a bit, which is a great piece. Think Pagentry will appear again soon for the first section (great piece, but our own choice last year, so we would be prepared, lol)
    for the lower section, Steven Bulla's Firestorm would be good, really tough with exposed solo parts for everyone, Also i like Horovitz's Sinfonietta

20. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I wouldn't worry about the spelling of a composers name when you struggle with words like "favourite". Or Diversions. Or Essence. Or rehearsal.

21. ScreamingSop

ScreamingSop Member

thank you for that

22. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

No problem