Combination bike lock

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Di, May 6, 2008.

1. Di

Di Active Member

OK, here's a poser for you all.

Many years ago (seems like soooo many), we bought Vicki a combination lock bike chain. She's had another bike, still used the lock, but the bike has sat in the garage now, unused for about 6 years! I'm starting to clean it up, service it and see if it will be usable for her when she goes to college.

You can see the problem coming can't you?

The bike chain is done up around the saddle stem (ok, I can remove this and get the lock off), but when I ask her, I know she'll just say "well I don't know" when I ask her for the combination.

So, any experts out there who know how to crack this combination or do we have to go out and buy a new one?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Vicki
    combination lock bike chain
    Combination bike lock OK
    problem
    ca
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

i think this seems to be the answer;)

4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

It MAY be possible to crack if it's a little worn....

Turn each barrel/lever one step at a time, and gently 'rock' it. If it feels 'looser' at a certain digit, that may be it - or not.

Good luck. :tup

5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Take it to any locksmith and they'll crack it for you. I could probably do it, but won't sy how on a public forum. I'll pm you.

6. impycornet

impycornet Member

I assume you have tried the obvious ones

date of birth etc !

7. Di

Di Active Member

Have tried this and so far, failed. :(

Thanks for the PM, have replied back, but again, so far have failed. :(

There is no 0000. It goes 1 - 7 and a dot, but no 0. We didn't do date of birth because that would have been too easy for kids to sus out. We thought we did some sort of sequence, of 1, then 1 add 1, add 2 etc, but that hasn't proven to be the case.

Not to worry, it ain't gonna break the bank to pick up another, I just don't like to admit defeat in a challenge. :rolleyes::tongue:

8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Just go through them all in order. I did this with an old computer lock once and managed to find it pretty quickly.

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'd buy a new one anyway - a combination lock is no deterrent at all to thieves.

Get a D-lock, with solid metal all around. Heavy, and more expensive, but better than having your bike nicked.

10. Di

Di Active Member

Cheers Dave, will look into that. :tup

She's off to Cardiff, which apparently one of UKs safest cities.

11. andyp

andyp Active Member

A combination bike lock can be forced pretty quickly - if it has 7 numbers per rotor and 4 rotors there's only 840 combinations, 10 mins work at most. If only 3 rotors it's only 210.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Vicki
    combination lock bike chain
    Combination bike lock OK
    problem
    ca
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Aren't factorials wonderful. :)

14. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

You've not watched Torchwood then. ;)

15. timbloke

timbloke Member

Why don't you take it to Blackpool at the weekend and give it to one of the men in the box. I'm sure they'd appreciate having something to pass the time and take their mind off the music ;)

16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Humph, I had a bike once where chummy kindly managed to unlock the D-lock and took the bike away. He kindly left me the lock though! :mad:

In fairness, it was quite an old D-lock, and probably nowhere near as secure as the newest ones.

17. Di

Di Active Member

Actually, no I haven't. :) Buuut now you mention it, the day I took her for her audition last year, there were Police (and lots of them) on every junction (or so it seemed). They were parked in the middle of streets on hashes and were all out of their cars on the lookout. Felt quite intimidating at the time, but then someone mentioned something about Torchwood and an explosion scene being recorded or something.

18. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Is she going to the RWCMD?
    If so, will she be living in the RWCMD Halls?

19. Di

Di Active Member

Got a list of those 840 combinations I can start on? :tongue:

Yes and yes.

Thanks for the PMs and tips guys. I've watched Youtube videos until I'm going crazy. Our lock doesn't seem to either have the movement that theirs do, "click" like theirs or have resistance like theirs. Ho hum, back to the drawing board.

(Or the bike shop). :rolleyes:

20. Hells Bones

The RWCMD Halls are quite good, have you received the pack about them yet?

21. Di

Di Active Member

Yup, just finished filling the forms in, sat in an envelope on the desk waiting to be posted.

22. Hells Bones

Cool! I'm in the same place next year.