Colours of the rainbow....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by timbloke, Aug 19, 2010.

1. timbloke

timbloke Member

Having recently read a large number of childrens "picture" books to my son, and even watched the occasional Timmy Time etc. I've noticed that whenever there is a rainbow shown (as on Timmy Time this morning) there is only ever SIX colours. I'm sure I was taught the SEVEN colours of ROY G BIV (or any of the rhymes in either direction).

Did they change the rules whilst I was getting drunk as a student?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Timmy Time
    picture
    occasional Timmy Time
    colours of ROY G BIV
    large number of childrens
  3. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

no shouldn't have
    but Timmy Time is the best kids programme on TV, I love it!!

4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Thats better than the rainbows on TV when I was a kid. Then a rainbow was Black,dark grey,light grey,white,grey,grey

5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I last did a science lesson 4 years ago, and then it was 7, which we were taught to remember with Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain, ie.

Red
    Orange
    Yellow
    Green
    Blue
    Indigo
    Violet

6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

when I did my PGCE we were taught that Newton originally only named 5 colours in the rainbow, (leaving out orange and indigo), because there is no 'banding' as such (as in the colours aren't clearly banded in lines, rather they merge into each other)....really there is only each person's perspective on what colour starts when....

There is some suggestion that 7 colours were introduced to make it more like a music scale,,,,,I don't know if that's true though...

7. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

slighty o/t though....my son's school still has a solar system poster on the wall with Pluto on it...named as the 9th planet. This is now not true, as Pluto was recently dismissed as a planet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pluto

8. still learnin

still learnin Member

I'm not colour blind and can recognise all (I think) of the various shades that a colour has but it's their names that throw me. 'Peach' as an example, how can that be a colour? I bought a peach at lunchtime and there were shades of yellow, green, mauve (I think that’s a colour) and purple(ish) on it, so what colour is peach? Similarly 'fuchsia', I happened to mention to my wife how red our fuchsias are this year. I was immediately told that they aren't red they are fuchsia. How can that be? I could understand and accept ‘light red’ or ‘dark pink’ but fuchsia!!

There must be an easier way of naming colours than using the names of fruits and bushes that each vary in colour themselves. Or is it because I'm a bloke?

9. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Having my classroom repainted over the holidays. Bumped into the head of faulty at results day today and said the music department was a mess from the redecoration, but at least it was getting done. She asked me what colour - "The same as before, beige" I replied. "It's not beige, it's Mushroom" she informed me.

Mushroom!? Mushroom??!?!? When did Mushroom become a colour?!?!?!?!

10. worzel

worzel Member

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I only see six colours myself, (although, of course, I see them merging into one another).

There is an argument that the division into distinct colours is purely cultural, but as I was brought up on seven and always saw violet and indigo as shades of the same colour I think it is more hard-wired than cultural. Particularly as the six colours plus black and white correspond to the eight possible all or nothing combinations red, green, and blue, which happen to be the three types of cone cells in our eyes.

11. worzel

worzel Member

A more blokey way to remember is the RGB values as used for websites among other things.

Fuchsia: #FF00FF
    Peach: #FFE5B4

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Timmy Time
    picture
    occasional Timmy Time
    colours of ROY G BIV
    large number of childrens
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I see seven. Admittedly indigo and violet might both be seen as shades of purple, but I see this as another example of dumbing down. Because it's more difficult to distinguish the differences let's make them go away :hammer:

It'll not be long before they remove any colour differences at all. We'll live in an inoffensive grey world, with no light or dark, no shades just a uniform grey colour. It'll be like an insane asylum in the 1700s!

I think peach is the colour of the inside of the fruit! I agree with you about fuchsia, though. I think it's a fashion thing. we poor deluded men know nothing!

There is an argument that the division into distinct colours is arbitrary, as the electromagnetic spectrum - of which visible light is a tiny, tiny part - is continuous, but it helps us to learn to use the adjectives for commonly used colours in everyday speech - and it's an excuse for a pretty song - just like Doe, a Deer was for tonic sol-fa.

14. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't light and sound basically the same thing?

15. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

They're Hex values, RGB would be 255 0 255 and 255 218 185 :D /geek

They're both waves, but light is waves of electromagnetic radiation within a certain narrow band of wavelengths (other bands being radio waves, x rays, gamma rays etc etc), and sound is more of a pressure wave.

16. worzel

worzel Member

Yeah, it is continuous, and we see only a small part of it. That much seems to support the argument that it is arbitrary. But we don't even really see the small part we supposedly see. All we really get as sensory input is "this much red, this much green, and this much blue". All the colours we think we can see are actually synthesised in our brains from this red green blue data. That is why printing and television screens work. They only use three colours, but our limited perception can't tell the difference between combinations of those three colours, and the real original colour. As such, and given that the reckoned six colours of the rainbow correspond to all or nothing combinations of those three colours, I don't think it is all that arbitrary.

Having said that, and now thinking about it, orange is actually not one of those all or nothing combinations, and we seem to be missing cyan from our regular reckoning of the rainbow. So maybe it is a bit arbitrary after all, but not completely.

17. worzel

worzel Member

Fail of geek more like. Those were RGB values expressed in hex, as used in HTML. The number base used to express a quantity does not change the semantics of the quantity measured, d'uh :)

18. floppymute

floppymute Member

"Rainbow" on kids' TV was simply dark...very..very..Dark! :wink:

19. still learnin

still learnin Member

I had another peach a few minures ago, the inside was definitely an orangey yellow sort of colour but as I recall a slightly different hue to the one I had yesterday.

I suppose that I'm not qualified to comment on this really. Once when I returned from a business trip my wife had redecorated a small room in the house and changed it from a dreadful orange (that the previous owner must have liked) to cream (I think that the technical term was harvest beige). I NEVER NOTICED!!

Since leaving hospital I try to take more of an interest.

20. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

:oops: Apologies, I really shouldn't stick my oar into things I'm not current on...!
    (11111111 00000000 11111111 and 11111111 11011010 10111001 FTW!) ;)

21. worzel

worzel Member

Current? Are you suggesting that once upon a time the base did make a difference to the meaning?

You know, there are three types of people in the world. Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those waiting for a bus :biggrin:

22. still learnin

still learnin Member

I've changed my mind. I think that mushroom and peach and fuschia are ok as colours after all if RGB values (wtf?) are the alternative.