Colour make a difference??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Caz Clay, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Caz Clay

Caz Clay New Member

Right people, i'm here to pick your brains again!!! and i'm gonna put it simply...

new instruments... better silver or lacquered & why??? is there really a difference??

2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I like silver :)

But thats because the lacquer almost seemed to flake off the cornet i had leaving it covered in brown dots. Not very attractive!
  3. Veri

Veri Member

Apparently you get a different sort of sound quality. although having played on both, I'm not sure I noticed that much of a difference. Probably professionals can though! I like silver better, it's a prettier colour! :oops:
  4. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

I would have to say it depends on the instrument and the make

Yamaha - Maestro - Cornet - Siliver Plate - Much nicer sound and a more stable instrument to play

Besson sovereign - Cornet - Rose Brass Bell - Not very free blowing and not very stable to play if you try and push alot of air through it

Just My opinion
  5. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

I'm a fan of silver, its harder to clean but is more durable. - people can really tell when you look after it!
  6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Silver looks nicer :dunno
  7. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I like silver to be honest, but that's just asthetics, no real reason behind it. Except for trombones though, they always look wrong in silver to me!
  8. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

My bro has a silver trom that looks very nice.
  9. jingleram

jingleram Active Member

There's a similar thread on here from not too long ago, I'm sure some modly type person will find it soon enough and put it up!
  10. squirrel

squirrel Member

It's nowt to do with the colour, its the properties of the material that forms the coating that makes the difference. Lacquer attenuates the higher frequencies more than silver plating does, so you get a warmer sound compared with the brighter sound with silver plate. It's not a massive difference though.
    Silver plate is generally more hardwearing, but I prefer the sound and the look of lacquer.

Does anyone know if you can get small patches of lacquer redone, or if it has to be done in whole sections of tubing, or the whole instrument?
  11. davidsait

davidsait Member

I was taught to go for silver instruments as they have a higher resale value, and small repairs don't show up as much as they do on laquer.
  12. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Lacquer for flugel...silver for trumpet and cornet.....mind you gold plate would also be nice;)
  13. Rach_Horn

Rach_Horn Member

my horn has a lacquer finish and it's really hard to get repairs done on it to not look messy... both can sound nice dependin on who's playing it..played on both but prefer my lacquered one at the mo :)
  14. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I prefer gold, if available - seriously hard wearing and doesn't require maintenance.

In general (VAST generalisation, my apologies)
    Silver tends to brighten the tone slightly.
    Lacquer tends to dull it down.
    Gold lets it remain as it was when raw brass (the gold plate is very thin).

Yes, it is possible.
  15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

For more information than you really ever want to know, please read this: (Think I've posted this before ... ? )

However, please be aware that this article refers primarily to trumpets.

There may well be different considerations applying to bigger instruments ...
  16. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Gareth - a classic article:biggrin:

It is worth pointing out though, that when Schilke did his studies, the trechniques for lacquering were very different to those that are used today. The lacquer was considerably thicker and, therefore, had a bigger impact upon the sound.
  17. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Well... I have a silver besson sovereign cornet and I love it! BUT... as some of you know.... he was sent off to the cornet hospital to be fixed and was gone for about 3 weeks (he's back now!!) so I had to play on a besson sov that was laquer with a rose bell... which I have to say..... I didn't like much at all to be honest!

Apart from bits of laquer being missing, leaving ugly brown splodges... it just didn't sound nice! My cornet sounds so much brighter than the other one.... I dunno if thats to do with the different plating or what.... but there is definately a difference!

I also play my mums silver plated sov horn and my bro's silver plated sov baritone from time time and they have nice bright sounds aswell!

hmmm I'm confused now!

could silver plate make an instrument sound brighter?

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

19. paddo

paddo Member

My choice after years of playing BBb is for the laquer (spelling hey!) the silver bass is a lot harder to fill, after moving from a silver one 8 months, my sound was wide but even wider now??

TIMBONE Active Member

Here's a nice one. Lots of professional trumpet players buy a new instrument, and the first thing they do is to strip off all the laquer :)