Colonel Bogey on Parade

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andrew Norman, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Does anybody have an accurate list of the marches - as they appear - in Colonel Bogey on Parade ?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Colonel Bogey
    Parade Does
    accurate list
    marches
  3. alanl58

alanl58 Member

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although the cd does indeed have that title, it doesn't give a breakdown of the tunes featured in the title track, as requested by the poster :(

5. Eb_Alex

Eb_Alex Member

6. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Andrew, there is no score for this piece, but the solo cornet/conductors part can be viewed here, if that's of any help.

7. still learnin

still learnin Member

I had a quick look at the attachment but it still doesn't provide a list of the featured marches as requested by the original poster.

8. The Wherryman

I'm not entirely sure what is being requested. The brass band arrangement I have indicated seems to be based on variations round the original tune, but I'm not clever enough, musically, to be certain of that.

I've got an LP of the Central Band of the RAF with a track entitled Colonel Bogey on Parade. I've just listened to it and not only is it longer than the BB arrangement, but it does have woven through it a number of marches that I am unable to identify.

There is a performance, by the BBC Military Band, on YouTube . If we have any Alford experts on here (presuming these are all Alford marches), perhaps they can help to compile a list of the marches being played and then we'd all know.

9. still learnin

still learnin Member

The march, Colonel Bogey on Parade, is made up of a medley of marches. I think that Andrew Norman is looking for a list of all of the marches included in the medley.

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The Solo cornet part linked is not complete; there is at least another page, if not two more.

For what it's worth, here's my contribution:

The piece starts with (obviously) "Colonel Bogey"
    At Figure '1', there is the 2nd strain of "Great Little Army"
    16 bars further on, another theme is introduced, which I don't recognise.
    Around the top of the 2nd page, some passages from "Voice of the Guns" appear.
    At Figure '2' there is another march which I recognise, but cannot put a name to. I will have a look later today.
    At the end of page 2, the introduction to "On the Quarterdeck" appears; I seem to remember this continues into the first strain over the page.

Sorry, that's all I can come up with at the moment. If no-one else is able to help, I will try and remember to get the piece out of the library at tonight's rehearsal and run it through. With the help of my Bass Trombone player (a former Director of Music of the Life Guards!) I should be able to identify the rest of the excerpts.

11. Nice Horn!

Nice Horn! Member

Not sure if this is correct, but hope it helps.

About Colonel Bogey On Parade

(A Sparkling Review of Marches and Counter Marches). By Kenneth J. Alford. BAND SET. This edition: M060053498. Boosey and Hawkes Concert Band.. Book only. Published by Boosey & Hawkes (HL.48010602).
    Contents: Colonel Bogey March * The Great Little Army * Cavalry of the Clouds * Voice of the Guns * Old Panama * The Middy * On the Quarterdeck * The Mad Major * The Standard of St. George * The Vanished Army * The Smithy.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Colonel Bogey
    Parade Does
    accurate list
    marches
  13. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Thank you - That's more or less what I wanted. We're playing it tonight and although I recongnise most of the marches there were one or two I didn't know (including The Smithy).
    I hadn't played this medley for a long time but after all these years it still makes me smile, the way that Alford (Ricketts) wove the tunes together is a masterpiece.

14. The Wherryman

Nice one, Nice Horn! I've taken a copy to leave with our library file, just in case someone in the band poses the same question.

15. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

And the rest! Ran it yesterday, out of curiosity; nice idea, far too long ... :(