College Questionnaire

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by euph77, May 25, 2011.

1. euph77

euph77 Member

My half sister and student has asked if I may publish her questionnaire to help with a college assignment. Any replies (whether on the thread or by PM) will be treated with confidence and only used for her college research.

Questionnaire

I’m conducting a survey into brass instruments. All of your answers will be confidential, and will only be used for my research for a college assignment.

How old are you? Please circle as appropriate
    5-10; 11-18; 19-30; 31-49; 50-69; 70+

What is your main brass instrument? Please circle as appropriate
    Soprano Cornet; Cornet; Flugel; Tenor Horn; Baritone; Euphonium; Trombone; Eb Bass; Bb Bass; Trumpet; French Horn; Orchestral Tuba; Other

What other brass instruments do you play? Please circle as appropriate
    Soprano Cornet; Cornet; Flugel; Tenor Horn; Baritone; Euphonium; Trombone; Eb Bass; Bb Bass; Trumpet; French Horn; Orchestral Tuba; Other

How old were you when you started brass banding / orchestral playing? Please circle as appropriate
    5-10; 11-18; 19-30; 31-49; 50-69; 70+

Why did you start banding / orchestral playing? Please circle as appropriate
    Family play brass; Friends play brass; Music teacher suggestion; Interest; Social aspect; Personal statement / CV addition; Healthy competition; Tours and travelling; Transfer from non-brass; Other

What standard are you on your main instrument?
    Less than Grade 1; Grade 1 - 2; Grade 3 - 4; Grade 5; Grade 6 - 7; Grade 8; ATCL; LTCL; FTCL; FTCL +

How much do you enjoy brass banding?

Did you choose which instrument you play? If yes, why did you choose it? If no, why did you end up playing it?

Thank you for filling in this questionnaire and thanks for your time. You may have just gained me a place at university :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SIZE
    brass instruments
    brass banding
    non-brass
    Family play brass
  3. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

31-49
    Cornet
    All
    5-10
    Family
    Grade 8 +
    On a scale of 1-10 probably about 8
    I started on Tenor horn because that was what was available (taught myself trombone when I found a peashooter in the cupboard) - studied French Horn at school - played Euphonium in the Army because that was where there was a vacancy in my chosen band.
    Played cornet/trumpet on coming out of the army because that what where the work was (mostly jazz).

4. Coverhead

Coverhead Member

19-30
    Cornet
    Trumpet
    5-10
    Family Play Brass (4 generations!)
    Grade 8
    Love it!!
    The cornet seemed a natural choice when I started... it was the only instrument I could lift!

Good luck :tup

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You could usefully separate out tenor trombone and bass trombone... You may also find that some started banding before the age of 5.

31-49
    [Bass] trombone
    All from tenor horn pitch downwards (not including french horn), both media. Euph/bari/troms (alto, tenor, bass, contrabass) all strongest.
    5-10
    Music (piano) teacher suggestion
    Hard to say exactly - certainly respectably comparable to music college graduates, those working freelancers I bump into on orchestral gigs and friends with diplomas.
    Some aspects of it very much, some aspects less so. Scale of 1-10? 7.5 right now. Varies over time.
    Started on baritone/euphonium, aged 8 (the biggest instrument I could manage easily!). Also took up bass trombone in order to get into the NYBB, aged 13. Added others later for flexibility and fun.

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Age - 36 (feel older)
    Main instrument - Tenor trombone
    Also - Alto trombone, Bass Trumpet, Euphonium, Baritone, Sackbut
    Started playing - age 7
    Why - Family all play
    What standard are you - Professional player for 14 years (or 'useless failure' according to Oliver Browne ;))
    Enjoy - I love bands, they're in my blood!
    Choose - The trombone sort-of chose me, due to embouchure difficulties on my previous instruments (cornet, tenor horn)

7. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

50-69
    Tenor Horn
    Cornet, flugel
    31-49
    Interest.
    No idea, never taken any.
    Enjoy, most of the time.
    Chose.

8. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

31-49
    Euphonium
    Tried all UK brass except the monster bass.
    11-18
    Brass banding family
    Grade 8
    Complete fanatic
    Started on tenor horn (only instrument available) then matured onto euph.

9. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

50-69;

Tenor Horn

How old were you when you started brass banding / orchestral playing? Please circle as appropriate
    5-10

Family play brass;

Only did grade 8 many years ago but solo horn in championship section band

Greatly

Did you choose which instrument you play?
    Given tenor horn to learn at age of 7, played ever since although also played French Horn for 8years from age of 11

10. welsh_tenor

welsh_tenor Member

19-30
    Cornet
    Have been known to play tenor horn
    11-18
    Music teacher suggestion
    Grade 8
    Love it, love it, love it!
    Started on cornet by brass teacher whilst learning to play and stayed on that instrument for 10+ years. Moved to tenor horn for about 5 years due to band vacancies but moved back to my rightful home on cornet.

11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

31-49
    Euphonium
    Baritone / Tenor Trombone / Eb Bass
    5-10
    Family (SA)
    Last taken grade was 5 but like to think I can hold my own at Champ / 1st Section level (MD's / listeners may beg to differ !!)
    Love playing and all things band-related.
    Started on cornet , couldn't get on with it (?mouthpiece size / embouchure issues) aged 5 or so.Gave up and played percussion in the YP band and then started again on tenor horn around 11 , moved down the size range and euph was best fit .

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    SIZE
    brass instruments
    brass banding
    non-brass
    Family play brass
  13. hornsrus

hornsrus Member

31-49;

l; Tenor Horn;

; Cornet; Flugel;

5-10;
    school headmaster asked who wants to play a shiny instrument i was seven and like shiny things!!

; Grade 8;

love it, wish i could spend more time doing it and when my kids are older i will!!

Did you choose which instrument you play? If yes, why did you choose it? If no, why did you end up playing it? initially started on cornet at school and moved to horn after peri suggested it aged 9(?)

Sarahxx

14. davethehorny

davethehorny Member

31-49
    E
    b Bass
    Tenor Horn; Baritone; Euphonium;
    5-10
    Family play brass
    Grade 6 - 7;

How much do you enjoy brass banding? It is my main hobby

Did you choose which instrument you play? No
    If no, why did you end up playing it? Filled a gap in the band

15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

How old are you?
    31-49

What is your main brass instrument?
    Baritone

What other brass instruments do you play?
    Right now, none; but have played French Horn, Euphonium, Tenor trombone and Eb Bass
    and still occasionally play (for depping) Tenor Horn.
    (sorry, not sure if you meant 'at the moment' or not!)

How old were you when you started brass banding / orchestral playing?

5-10

Why did you start banding / orchestral playing?
    Music teacher suggestion

Grade 8

Love it! love the playing, love the music, love the contesting, love the friendships

Did you choose which instrument you play? If yes, why did you choose it? If no, why did you end up playing it?
    Initially, no - I started on tenor horn because the teacher thought it was going to be the easiest size & shape for me to hold. I prefer the pitch of Euph/bari/trom and ended up choosing baritone because thats the one I think I sound best on, and I love the 1st bari part.

16. simonium

simonium Member

Euphonium

Friends play brass and other - heard a spectacular player on euphonium thought it sounded "easy" and decided to start!

Grade 8

It is my major hobby and I couldn't imagine doing anything else. Like everything there are times when I wonder if my time couldn't be better used but these are few and far between
    See above...As an adult I decided the euphonium was the instrument I wanted to play, borrowed one from the band took it home and the madness seized me and hasn't loosened its grip yet! Also the percussion parts in the summer music we were playing were dismal.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  17. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

31-49

Eb Bass

Baritone; Euphonium; Trombone;Bb Bass;Orchestral Tuba; Other - Sousaphone

5-10
    Other - Went to the local Saturday morning music centre, was told by my mother that there was no way I was learning violin or trombone, so I picked the cornet, which I played for 12 years before moving on to proper instruments! :)

Not a clue! :-D
    (To give you an idea, I have played in Championship section brass bands on Bass Trombone, Eb and Bb Bass
    and in a semi-professional big band on Bass Trombone and Tuba and occasionally on trombone in local pit orchestras in York)

Depends! :) Sometimes I love it, sometimes I can't wait for an excuse to get out!
    At the moment I play in a brass band with a fantastic bunch of people! :clap:

I sort of "fell" onto Bass/Tuba as there was no place for me on cornet when I moved back from London - the only place was on BBb Bass! :-D

18. See above

19. boslmjan

boslmjan New Member

How old are you?
    Please circle as appropriate
    31-49;

Bb Bass;

Baritone; Euphonium; Trombone; Eb Bass; Bb Bass; Orchestral Tuba;

19-30;

Transfer from non-brass;

LTCL;

enjoy the physicality, sociality and expressivity

needed a large mouthpiece

20. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

50-69;

Bb Bass;

Tenor Horn; Baritone; Euphonium; Trombone (inc Bass Trombone); Eb Bass;

11-18;

Family play brass; Friends play brass;

(Probably) Grade 6 - 7 but never taken any grades;

Very much

Started on tenor horn as there was one in the school music cupboard; moved to baritone & then bass trombone to meet the needs of the band I was playing with; since then have generally filled in where needed, from horn down.

21. diddlydoc

diddlydoc New Member

31-49
    Euphonium
    Baritone
    Played my first note at 4 - started properly when aged 6
    My Dad always played in the Salvation Army band so it was the natural thing to do
    Grade 8
    It's my life - practise or play at band every single day. Dread the day when I am unable to do it. It is 2nd only to my family
    Played tenor horn then a position became available on Euphonium so I said I'd give it a try - 23 years ago.

22. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

How old are you?
    31-49

What is your main brass instrument?
    Bb Bass
    What other brass instruments do you play?
    Eb Bass

How old were you when you started orchestral playing?
    5-10
    How old were you when you started brass band playing?
    19-30?
    Why did you start banding / orchestral playing?
    Family play brass; Family play orchestar; Friends play brass; Transfer from non-brass

Never taken grades on brass intruments

Depends on what we are doing/playing

Did you choose which instrument you play?
    Current insturment Yes, but only because I could no longer play anything higher for more than about 5 minutes.
    Sop to BBb