Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities (Red book!)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Seedhouse, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hello, i've recently got this book, but don't really know how to approach it-has anyone got a method of working out of it so I could add it to my daily routine? Where do I start!? I can do the first few pages fine, and so decided to start on "Expanding rang to High D above C" but feel I need a plan of attack to successfully use this book.
    Any help would be grateful,
    Alex

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Advanced Lip Flexibilities
    Colin
    Alex
    High D
    daily routine
  3. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

i thaught this had stoped being printed, one of my teachers other pupils was told it had been stopped! anyway ....

4. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Well the shop that I ordered it from said it was out of print, so i said "Oh don't worry then, cancel the order" and then about 2 months later they rung up and said it had arrived! :? :lol:
    So i've now got a copy :D

5. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

DISCLAIMER:

Although some may say that I am indeed a "good pull", I would like it known that I have never had or expect to have my secret methods published.

Therefore, I would like to clarify that "Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities" was not written by, or about me.

However, if any ladies, preferably fit, would like a free demonstration of these "flexibilties", I would be happy to oblige....

Many thanks.....

6. Not sure about the book that you have there, but I have read "Vital Brass Notes" by Colin. I think that this one is Deff out of print - but I must say that this book really explains things correctly.

Colin knew what he was doing.

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

where do you start?

The beginning, may help ;-)

:lol:

8. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Not sure if it has stopped beiong printed recently. I purchased the book last year as somebody recommended it to me. I find it great to warm up on and also good for things such as lip trills. Certainly builds up your range aswell.

9. Euph-Bari

Euph-Bari Active Member

well i got it about six months or more ago aswell
    is a good book!

10. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Someone's been watching The Sound of Music methinks. :D :p

11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:shock:
    haven't seen that for a while...

... nah... I'd just had a few :guiness you see! :lol: :bounce

;-) :p

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Advanced Lip Flexibilities
    Colin
    Alex
    High D
    daily routine
  13. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

No offense guys, but could someone pleeeease give me some help regarding to my question of how to structurally work out of the book.

14. missflugel

missflugel Member

I started at the beginning about 2 years ago and read what the instructions say throughout the book to build my the range. Recently as my playing has demanded it I have looked at the exercises towards the back of the book to build on my lip trills etc.

Just practice what you feel is comfortable and then develop it from there.

Jo x

15. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

I got this book yesterday, and I'm just going to slowly work my way through it, but not go past anything that I can't do.

16. Moy

Moy Active Member

The Arban and the Collins are my most important books.
    My bible(S). :wink:

17. Martin Hall

Martin Hall Member

Charles Collins Lip flex

Well I have had the book about 3 years now and generally work from it during sessions with Jim Shepherd.

Its a good add on to the lip flexibilty sluring exercises in the Arban!

When I first studied from it, "Mr Shep" generally used the first few pages in demostrating the feel of the flexibilty of the togue inside the mouth and the required air support to acheive the smooth transition of notes!

The enfasis I found was more to be on sound qualitly and ease of playing, which developed range and technique as a by-product!

Therefore I suggest keeping it simple and just incorporating a short workout into your routine, resting between exercises!

This is how I have been taught from it anyway, and I found it very benificial!

18. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Cheers for your help guys,
    How do you work out of it Moy?

19. Firstly I'd say that it doesnt really matter where you start from, it's more to do with how you apply yourself in each exercise. But having said that I decided the best place to start working the Charles Colin's into my practice routine was at volume 3 (p.49)

This section concentrates on flexibility within the middle range (or the comfort range), which is always a good place to start because we're all generally comfortable playing in that register.

and because there are no extremes (register wise) you can really concentrate on the position of the tongue and the constant flow of air between each flexibility. Then once you've mastered up to page 55 (at a decent tempo but every flexibility sounding as smooth and comfortable as possible), go back to the beginning and apply all the same principles.

That personally worked for me anyway (although a little brief!)........But I think if you just be patient with it and don't try and be the next vizzutti straight away then its a really good book.

Dont get me wrong, Im not trying to dictate how you practice, Im just stating what worked for me, and so it might be beneficial to you too.

hope that helps?!

20. Moy

Moy Active Member

We all work differently as we all have different strengths and weaknesses.
    I play it by how my lip feels on the day. Tend to use only vol 1 and vol 3 though.
    Of course I use the Arban and I have another study book for "top register" by Walter Smith....I think!!!! It's called Top Tones...another good book.

My routine is never the same as the strengths don't need a lot of work while the weaknesses do. Then they change round. :wink:

Very difficult to advise someone how to practise without hearing them play. :lol: