Colin McRae

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by WoodenFlugel, Sep 16, 2007.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Tonight I heard the news that there has been a fatal helicopter crash which may have involved rally legend Colin McRae. Although the details are still pretty sketchy it doesn't look too hopeful from the BBC's report. From the report I've just read on the Times online it seem that his young son was also a passenger, which makes it even more tragic.

I really hope I'm posting this thread too early, but McRae is one of my heroes. I've been lucky enough to see him driving first hand on several occasions and his commitment, style and sheer speed was astounding. Had he been an F1 driver he'd be a national hero.
  2. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Here here. What's happening of late, all these high profile personalities dying?
  3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It seems the news is true pending formal identification, and a massive tragedy if it is!
  4. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely tragic news and all the worst because two kids of 5 and 6 were also killed.

My thoughts are with his wife and young daughter.

RIP Colin - today sees the loss of another great rally driver.
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Just tragic. British motorsport loses yet another massive figure, well before his time.

Certainly one of the brightest talents motor racing has ever produced, a single world title is no just reward for a man of his skills. Especially after finishing runner-up on four occasions.

In fact, I seem to remember his title charge was ended twice on nearly the same stage of the rally of Great Britain, when Grisedale defeated his Subaru and forced him to retire.

It was nice to see Valentino Rossi dedicate his win at Estoril on sunday to McRae as well. Rossi's a big rallying fan and amateur rally driver himself and was always a fan of McRae when he was younger. It's not just rallying that will miss the man.

There seems to be something about motor racers and helicopters. Steve Hislop (Former 500GP champion and TT winner) was killed in a helicopter crash a couple of years back too. I think Lewis hamilton may think twice before investing in a whirlybird after this.

I feel the same as I did when Richard Burns died. One of my childhood heroes has gone, and the world seems just that little bit more empty for his loss.

My heart goes out to his wife and family. Drivers families know motor racing of all types is a professional bloodsport and will never be completely safe, so if it had happened in a race it may have been different.

But for them to lose father and son together after he'd survived all that rallying could throw at him must be just awful.
  7. barrytone

barrytone Member

Absolutely devastating news. As an avid follower of all motorsport, Colin was one of my heroes, he will be greatly missed. Terrible that his son, another child and one of Colin's friends have also perished, four young lives lost in terrible circumstances.

Condolences to all who grieve their loss, especially the families. The loss of those so young is just too sad for words.
  8. Ruthless

Ruthless Member