Colin Hardy Judges First Section Yorkshire Areas AGAIN?!

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by KarenCraig, Jan 11, 2009.

1. KarenCraig

KarenCraig New Member

How?!?!?!

2. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

you're surely not suggesting that there's something wrong with that? Colin is one of our top adjudicators and i'd bet my house on his honesty

3. KarenCraig

KarenCraig New Member

I have one comment to make.

2006 SHAMBLES!

4. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Beacuase he is a damned fine adjudicator.

5. critic

critic Member

hERE WE GO AGAIN LET THE JUDGESDO THERE JOB AS THEY SEE FIT AND COCENTRATE ON YOUR BANDS PERFORMANCE

6. iRyan

iRyan Member

Agreed there, get over the decision ;)

7. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Erm.... because he was appointed?

Just a guess :-?

8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Absolutely !!

- Wilkie

9. andyfake

andyfake Member

A good adjudicator is one who generally gets the "right" result. Don't often hear many complaints about CH's judgements. I think someone has a bit of a personal axe to grind here?

10. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

We seem to be all in agreement, apart from a certain "Karen Craig".
    2006? Thats about 3 years innit? Move on Ms Craig.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Colin Hardy Judges First Section Yorkshire
    Colin Hardy
    Section Yorkshire Areas
  12. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Much as I usually steer clear of threads like this one, I feel I have to throw my two-penneth in.

Firstly, let me point out that I have no problem with Colin being the adjudicator. (And that'll be the section and region I'm playing in so it does affect me directly. I am not a disinterested party.)

However one can certainly see where the question marks over this one come from.

Think about it. Colin has a long association with Drighlington band. Now whatever the rules regarding how long one has to be away from a band are before one can adjudicate a contest where that band takes part, he's certainly met that requirement. And Drighlington are in the first section again this year.

However, the piece for the areas was written by Graham Cole who has an association with... Drighlington.

Now two of my best friends (folk I come up through junior band with) play cornet at Drig, and should they pull it off and win the area fair and square (which they are quite capable of) all this is going to be thrown around in the bar afterwards and on this very forum and conspiracy theories will abound.

My one question would be - why has this situation been allowed to develop? I have no problem with Mr hardy adjudicating any contest I play in, but to stop any potential conspiracy-mongering could he not have been asked to judge another section? I seem to recall he did the second section national finals at harrogate in 2007.

I have no doubt at all that the result of the yorkshire area will be fair. But I have every doubt that it will be SEEN as fair if Drig do get a good result. And I feel sorry for my friends there because in some people's eyes they're now damned if they do well and damned if they don't.

It just seems unecessary to put them - and the rest of us, through the inevitable fallout.

13. KarenCraig

KarenCraig New Member

Absolutely spot on.

14. Di B

Di B Member

With the test piece choice surely people will already be pointing their bony fingers at Drig somewhere..... Its not fair as the band are honest decent and hardworking.

Anyone who thinks ve yorkshire set up is unfair complain to the powers that be before the area - if you dont do this then live with the results. Personally I hope Drig do well :)

15. leisa

leisa Active Member

I think you'll find most adjudicators have links to different bands, so if it wasn't him people would only be complaining about someone or something else. I like Colin Hardy!

16. steve butler

Where would banding be without a good conspiracy theory eh?
    You should write a book about it Andy ;)

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Colin Hardy knows a good band performance when he hears it, and that performance will win which ever band it is.
    He's not a man to be swayed by historical emotional attachments
    His banding career both as a player and MD qualifies him to Adjudicate at the highest level, and his integrity is beyond doubt.

- Wilkie

18. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

What he said!

Threads like this don't help anyone in this situation and It just gives fuel to any band that wants a post contest moan - whether their band played well or not!

19. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

yes to what they both said ^ but isnt our original conspiracy theorist forgeting that there are going to be two adjudicators in the box? Or perhaps they'd like to cast some more aspersions in that direction too?

20. below is how many times the following adjudicators have adjudicated the 5 yorkshire sections (its not how many differnt years theyve been chosen). also this is just from 2005-2009 (inc. 05+09, 05 was when all sections got 2 judges insted of 1)

n.boddice (3)
    d.horsfield (3)
    m.brownbill (4)
    g.whitham (2)
    d.beckley
    j.roberts
    s.lippeat
    d.broadbent
    j.maines
    d.southcott
    d.read (3)
    j.scott (2)
    c.hardy (2)
    d.wilby
    i.brownbill (2)
    c.wormald (2)
    c.houlding
    b.thompson (2)
    d.hirst
    a.morrison
    c.b.buckley (2)
    r.evans
    p.roberts
    s.prichard-jones
    p.bassano
    r.childs (2)
    a.hope
    p.harper (2)
    r.newton
    s.sykes
    s.rebello
    r.roe

make of these stats what you will, theres 1 or 2 there that i don't rate or like but you'll never satisfy every bander who competes

i know who i would have liked to have adjudicate the 4th section this year but i aint got what i want, but im still just gonna get on with it

21. steve butler

You really are one sadandcrazytromboneguy

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Colin Hardy Judges First Section Yorkshire
    Colin Hardy
    Section Yorkshire Areas