Colditz March

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by bandsec, Oct 12, 2006.

1. bandsec

bandsec New Member

I am trying to get a brass band arrangement of the Colditz March for a Remembrance Concert with Kenny Ball and SWT Woodfalls on 10th Nov. in Salisbury - does anyone have it for sale? There was a quarter page advert in the BB on 20th May launching a new business called The Music Company and their advert featured several pieces including Colditz arranged by Gareth Green but the Music Company has failed to get off the ground. I have left messages and sent e-mails but no reply. What has happened to TMC or can anyone put me in touch with Gareth Green. Finally, apperently Avely and Newham have a set so is there anyone out there that could put me in touch with them? Many thanks. Brian (Sam) Easterbrook

2. bandsec

bandsec New Member

Thanks to Clare of The Music Company I have got myself a free copy of Colditz. Apparently The Music Company was not aware that their e-mails were not being picked up and as a thank you Clare is sending me the Colditz March FOC and just to let you ALL know - THEY ARE NOW PICKING UP THEIR E-MAILS.

3. Di

Di Active Member

Wow, what a nice gesture. :clap:

4. Slide

Slide New Member

Does it soond good, when performed with a brass band?
    Do you knwo btw where to find an orchestral version?

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I think so ... ;) ... :oops: ...

Available to hire only, AFAIK ...

Look here: http://www.rongoodwin.co.uk/cat.htm

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Double "whoops" :oops::oops: - quite correct. Still think it's available as hire only, from Boosey and Hawkes Hire Library, as I recall. (at least, that's where I got my perusal score from ... )

8. Frontman

Frontman Member

I have written a new arrangement of THE COLDITZ MARCH, but at present I am awaiting permission to publish.

9. Slide

Slide New Member

The Colditz March

If you got it, can you keep me posted?
    I'm looking for an arrangement for concert band.

10. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

There is already an arrangement for concert band. I've got a CD by the Central Band of the RAF called Salute to Heroes which includes Colditz.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Music Company
    Colditz March
    Remembrance Concert
    Kenny Ball
    SWT Woodfalls
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

There was a copy on Andrew Duncan's music stall at the Nationals in Harrogate at the weekend - not sure if it's his arrangement but it will be available from Andrew Duncan Music

13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Right now found it The Music Company

Colditz March

Composer: Various
    Arranger: Gareth Green (on tmp?)
    Instrumentation: Brass Band
    Format: Sheet Music
    Publisher: The Music Company
    A skilful arrangement of Robert Farnon's stirring concert march, Colditz, originally written in 1972 as the theme for the BBC TV series, "Colditz".

14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Yes, that's me ... :oops:

15. Columbo

Columbo Member

Sounds like a really cheerful March this one!! Any joy yet, Mr A?

16. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

It was written by Robert Farnon for the BBC TV series of the same name back in the 1970s (I think). A massed band version appears on the 1975 gala concert LP. I haven't listened to it for years, but I recall that the tuning is hideous!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  17. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Just because an arrangement has been recorded, one can't assume it has also been published. Getting permission to record a "one-off" is often easier than getting permission to print/publish/sell. In my experience many military band recordings feature a lot of "home-grown" arrangements. Does the CD liner include the arranger's name?

18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The RAF cd doesn't list an arranger at all, but then the notes are very basic. There are in fact four military band recordings listed on ukcd.net, and none list an arranger!

I recorded this myself on an lp of film & tv themes but I can't lay my hands on the record at the moment to check :oops:

19. Mephi

Mephi Member

Going off another thread perhaps it should be called 'Pontins March'!
    (I'll get me coat!)

20. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There is of course the possibility that the military band arrangement was by the composer himself. It has been known.

21. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Or even 'Butlitz March'

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    The Music Company
    Colditz March
    Remembrance Concert
    Kenny Ball
    SWT Woodfalls