Cold Sores

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stinky fish, Feb 28, 2004.

1. stinky fish

stinky fish New Member

I am currently plagued by cold sores. Should i continue to play or take a rest ? Our area is on saturday and we have a heavy schedule of rehearsals this week. HELP !

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    heavy schedule of rehearsals
    saturday
    cold sores
    week
    area
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

4. stinky fish

stinky fish New Member

5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

no probs matey, i hope they clear up quick, there's nothing wooserer when your trying to blow.

good luck on saturday

6. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Just as a by the by, I find that Zovirax is great for clearing up cold sores. If you put it on when you first start to feel a tingle they very rarely come to anything :lol: !

7. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

I second that I never go anywhere without Zovirax or however you spell it.

8. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

Must be the nest invention since the wheel!!!! :D

9. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

Seems Zovirax is the tried and tested remedy for cold sores then, among tMP'ers at least! :lol:

Actually, that reminds me, I've run out... better grab some more with all my A level recitals etc coming up!

By the way, so as to not go off topic, I have started a new thread for chapped/sore/broken lips http://themouthpiece.com/viewtopic.php?t=5609 if anyone suffers from these as well.

10. deezastar

deezastar Member

is a cold sore not something to do with a dodgy disease? keep lips away from others stinky !

11. It's 3:30am here, pitch black, and its a comfy 28 degrees celcius. Tropical North Queensland, Australia - It's the place to be if you're the cold-sore concious bandsman!!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    heavy schedule of rehearsals
    saturday
    cold sores
    week
    area
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is there any other cream apart from Zovirax that anyone can recommend for stopping the full development of cold sores?

14. colourofspring

colourofspring New Member

Blisteze is very good. However, I have just got rid of a cold sore and this time I used Zivorax. Unfortunately, I didn't start using it until the cold sore had got past the initial 'tingling' stage. I can tell you that it still kept the discomfort at bay even though I had to ride it through its natural progression. The other downside is that you have to walk around as though you have just eaten a cream cake on a rollercoaster!

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Blisteze reacts too much with my lips ... what if they are kept moisturised with something like Labello or Lypsyl (... Blistex just swells my lips up!)??

16. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

For 'prevention' you're really looking at antibiotic treatment with acyclovir - i.e. Zovirax - as they're caused by a Herpes Virus Type I infection (or maybe a more modern equivalent - it's a long time since my degree) - the other stuff will probably just be symptomatic treatment....

</Medicinal chemist contribution> ;)

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It's just that ... knowing my luck! :redface: (... maybe I should just practice and try the age-old remedy of 'blowing it through').

18. KMJ Recordings

Just ignore it - you're a tubist, you don't feel pain :D

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:mad: ... I did last year when I had to drop out of playing Isaiah 40 because of dental problems (and a large remedial bill afterwards!). That memory is still with me yet! Dental work seems to have paid off though ... even with minimal practice ... and the threat of this cold sore (... just had a wee toot!).

20. KMJ Recordings

:(

Has it actually broken out yet or is it just tingling? If it's the former, whatever you do will just be trying to clear it up....if it's the latter, has Zovirax been contraindicated? Is it just reticence to use it or did it do strange things before?

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I can feel the 'lump' and the usual tell-tale signs are there ... what I'm worried about is waking up one morning to find that it has broken through! It's not affecting contact area of mouthpiece rim this time as it usually does! I tend to avoid any creams if possible.

22. KMJ Recordings

Fair enough - it's one of those do I / don't situations isn't it? :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed you can keep it at bay.