Cold sores - To play or not to play?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sterlingsop, Feb 18, 2005.

Cold Sores - To play or not to play?

Poll closed Feb 25, 2005.
  1. Yes - keep playing on

11 vote(s)
  2. No - let it heal

13 vote(s)
  3. Bit of both

7 vote(s)
  1. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

That is the question.....

As true banders, do you play on through a cold sore or do you do the sensible thing and stop playing til it heals? Personally, I keep going - probably lengthens the life of the thing by about 3 weeks, but the fun to be had picking the soggy scabs off my mouthpiece in my bars rest.....ah luxury!
  2. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Pam............ that is disgusting!!!!

I would however suggest that you disinfect your mouthpiece after playing or I would imagine that the virus would linger & keep re-infecting!! Eugh!
  3. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Heh heh heh....naturellement! :wink:

TIMBONE Active Member

Fortunately, I have never had the cold sore problem. In my youth however, I had a cystic acne problem (now, I just have a rugged complexion). I was already playing professionally, so I just endured the pain and discomfort.
  5. ju33les

ju33les Member

Never had a cold sore, ever ever. ever ever ever ever!

But, have had chapped lips that spread up to my eyebrows(felt like it anyway!) and I've played on through that.

Bits of skin do tend to block the mouth piece though........:eek:
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

play with it dude, but carry some aftershave with you to keep it dry. works for me
  7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

if you're gonna carry on playing, then reaaaally clean ya mouthpiece and instrument out (cos after-all, you're blowing down all the germs through the piping) after each use... As HorniKaz says, the virus would linger & keep re-infecting you!

(someone at uni found that one out the hard way with a throat infection she had....)
  8. sywity

sywity New Member

I always seem to get a cold sore the same time every year (3-4 WEEKS BEFORE THE AREAS!!!!!!!)........:confused:

My advice is to play through it and have a tude of vasaline at the ready........and also clean ya mouthpiece after you have played EVERYTIME!!!!!!!

(And yes I have one now:( )

Simon Scholes
    Solo Horn
    Pilling Jubilee Silver Band
  9. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I'm suffering from the bright red lips at the moment, really really sore, but it's not as painful when I'm playing as when I'm just doing normal stuff. It also saved wearing lipstick when dressing up as a devil the other day.

I say play with it!
  10. yr_epa

yr_epa Member

I wouldn't play if I had a cold sore. Week before the Finals last year had a cold sore, and when told a few members of the band that I wouldn't be playing in one practice - the looks that I had!
  11. Depends where it is and how big your mouth piece it is!!
    If on cornet, and the cold sore it in the corner of your mouth then i would play, but as it has been stressed before, clean the mouthpiece after everytime you play, and the instrument after it has gone (because cold sores are spread through contact, not the virus living in your instrument).
    But if its in contact with your mouthpiece, you'll be in pain and not playing to your best, plus the scabs on the mouth piece sound disgusting! so i wouldnt play.
  12. Robb

Robb New Member

Hopefully this is close enough to 'on-topic'...

At recent dental appointment the nurse said her husband was a pro tuba player, and had had problems with mouth ulcers. She recommended immersing your mouthpiece in a 50/50 mix of water and 'Corsodyl' (a good mouthwash) at least once a week overnight. Presumeably this would also lessen the chance of cold sores flaring up. I (touch wood) don't get cold sores, or have ulcers too often, but it made me think about general hygiene as regards our instruments. Hope that could be helpful for any CS/ulcer sufferers out there...
  13. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

I say play! I had a sore come up twice, which involved me having to move my mouthpiece to the right instead of playing with it on the middle of my lips. took a lot of work to get used to it, but since i have done that the problem has not happened again.
  14. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

That is useful advice, thank you. I suffer from ulcers too and I have a ready supply of corsodyl just in case but I hadn't thought of using it to clean my mouthpiece. I use hot water mainly, and soak it in a salt solution for the cold sore gunk problem.

Why is it that when I start to feel run down my mouth becomes my enemy and I burst forth with ulcers and cold sores?? And yes, it's coming up to the areas in a couple of weeks and I've got 3 ulcers and a tingle on my top lip today.......grrrrr :mad:
  15. NeilW

NeilW Member

Zovirax or Soothlip (or other similar products) also help for cold sores, particularly if you catch them at the "tingle" stage. Expensive though - I seem to remember ~£4 for a little tube.

I find a product called Frador works well on mouth ulcers, but others swear by Bongella / equivalents...

I was told that Corsodyl was an anti-anaerobic bacteriacide and good for gum infections.... Maybe the tMp dentist will confirm that...

Vitamin tablets might help if you're just "run down", but if stress is the cause then they won't.

When the stress is the performance, you've got to play, haven't you otherwise "next time" will be worse. If you do play, hopefully the next one won't be as stressful...

16. If you have the coldsore virus, its always there, but just waits for the right time to pop up, thats why people get them after being ill, being generally run down or stressed. this is because when your stressed etc.. your immune system is lower so can't fight the virus, causing coldsores and ulcers to pop up to say hello at the most innappropriate times!!
  17. HBB

HBB Active Member

It's £5.49 at work for Zovirax!
  18. Jamie

Jamie Member

I have a coldsore... right now!! And it hurts!

Can't remember what I used to do... don't think I played with one. It only makes it worse. The purpose of Zovirax and other related products is to dry it out once you've got it; God knows how its supposed to prevent them if you catch it early enough! :confused: I seem to wake up with them though... no whiff of one before I go to bed, then I get up a matter of hours later with a great blister on me face! Whats all that about?! And why's it only happen to me?! :frown:

Once you've got the herpes virus you're stuck with it, so I don't recommend playing on until the worst is over; a) it hurts, b) you could spread it, c) surely you can't play properly with that on your face?! (I can hardly manage to eat or drink! Are mine worse than yours?!) d) moving your instrument to accommodate cant be good for your playing long-term... and e) it hurts!!!

The getting them when you're run down or stressed thing is right though. (According to the dude in my lecture this morning...) In fact, while you're in a stressful situation, your body focuses on producing adrenaline and other related hormones to help you deal with it, and neglects growth, repair, reproduction, digestion, etc... Which is why you get ill, and dormant viruses manifest themselves...

...And did I mention that it hurts?! :mad:
  19. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

^ Oh dear Jamie!

Yes I find they hurt a lot as well, and if they are new-born sores in the wrong place it is virtually impossible to get a proper seal between lip and mouthpiece too.

Not to mention unsightly and extremely off-putting for kissing with!!
  20. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

:eek: NOOOOOOO! please NO!!!!!! cant have those lazer lips conking out at the areas!!!!!

I always have ulcers and at least 1 cold sore on whit friday, every flippin time,
    :frown: Just when you could really do without them.