Closing threads

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by little_miss_marcroft, Jan 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuST a PoiNT...

But this whole thread closing malarky does my head in big time.

"this thread has been done before".... SO WHATTTTTT!?!?!?! Are people reeeeaaaaaally going to look all the way back through posts from the ancient times and complain that exactly 14 months, 1 week and 2 days ago, somebody else made that same thread?

Maybe I'm being grouch. BOTHERED.

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

...and answers on a postcard please for the exact time that this one gets locked too! ;)

3. dyl

dyl Active Member

If you are referring to your Chinese thread, the fact that it had been posted before was not the main reason it was closed - if it was then it would have been locked much sooner than it was.Besides, having multiple threads on the same subject merely eats up bandwidth and costs the owner money - money he spends out of his own pocket to provide tMP for free remember.

Rule 2a of the tMP Rules refers to multiple threads - http://www.themouthpiece.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56

In our opinion the thread in question had turned silly and was only going to get worse - so it was locked.

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

16.20 do for you Crawford?

In future if anyone has a problem - feel free to pm any of the team.

Locked! ;)

5. well....

Having mulitple threads on the same topic may well eat up bandwidth etc.... but the thread was already made, and surely new members have jonied tmp since then who never did get to see the old thread. So why not delete the old thread and let people contribute to the new one?!

It wasn't related to the chinese thread, because I fully agree with why you closed that. But your point at the bottom about it being done before just made me think.

I also didn't make any disrescpectful comments to or about the owner... AH THANK YOU.

6. and now Ive used a whole new "bandwidth" to start that thread, costing the owner money, because you wouldnt let me have an opinion and everything always has to be so tetchy and ruley.

SHEESH

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Think? Made you do more than that - looked more like a rant to me! ;)

Who said you did? I merely referred to the owner to try and explain our reasoning for not having multiple threads on similar subjects.

8. I don't rant at a font. I make an opinion. :)

9. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

ooh red writing... how scary and dominating.

10. Am I the only one who thinks I made a genuine point that was taken in the wrong way? I still don't see what was wrong with my suggestion up there... and I still don't see where the tantrum part comes into it, since I agree with the reasons why the chinese thread was closed.

Strange.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    way
    months
    thread closing malarky
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Well yeah...he only shut it down because it got slightly offensive and off topic and didn't want it to escalate...the comment about duplicate post was only that...a comment.

i think! :-?

13. dyl

dyl Active Member

Haven't said I don't disagree with your suggestion - we will discuss it as we do all suggestions we receive.

The fact that you posted your thread complaining about thread closures straight after the Chinese thread was closed made it look to me like you had a problem with that decision.

Right - this is getting even more silly than the original thread - you've made a suggestion - I've said we'll discuss it. End of story as far as I'm concerned.

Will merge this thread with your original one about thread closures and move to the 'Suggestions' forum.

PS. Sellers_Bird - if red scares you, shall I use another colour in future? ;)

14. It's only getting silly because you made a big deal out of it.

You closed the chinese thread... and at the bottom you wrote about threads being done before. Closing threads that have already been done has always bugged me, which leads me to my next thread.

It was entitled, "just a point." Not, "My tantrum" or "A dig at the mods and costing them money." You took it the wrong way, and locked it before I had a chance to even reply. As is often the case.

Hence my new thread. It became more trouble than it was worth for the simple reason that you took it the wrong way.

PS, red is also the colour of love. So lets just kiss and make up. Hmmmmm? :)

15. dyl

dyl Active Member

Watch out - you'll scare people away! ;)

16. oh you love it.

17. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

18. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

From where I'm sitting it looks like you and your friend are the only people that have a problem with this. Why do you have to take things so personally?

Having been offline for about a month, I've found it very hard to catch up with tMP because of threads like this. Surely they distract people from the real purpose of tMP - to get together, have fun and talk about music etc. I think that the Mods do a great job. If you have such a problem with this then why do you keep coming back? This is John's site, we agree to his very fair rules when we join up, so why do we complain when the rules are enforced?

What does MY head in big time is people complaining all the time about a service that is provided by people who give up their own time, and in John's case, a substantial amount of money to provide. I suggest that the energy you put into complaining and causing a stir for what seems to be the sake of it would be better spent doing something more productive.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does that mean? Are you bothered or are you not bothered?

19. Where my friend comes into that, I don't know. And from where you're sitting I would be the only one having a problem with this because I'M the one airing MY view.

You, just like dyl originally, are taking what I said the wrong way. One of the things you said is the purpose of tmp is to get together and have fun - I don't see where the fun is, in closing a thread that was done god knows how long ago, and stopping newer people from replying to this thread... when the older one could just as easily be deleted.

What does YOUR head in big time is the fact that I don't mince my words. There was no personal attack on anyone here... and had you been aware of what was going on, when it was going on, you would have seen that in actual fact I fully agred with dyl's reasoning for closing the thread previously.

Now I didn't know this part of tmp existed... this suggestions thingy. But I bet you ANYTHING had I wrote my "Just a point..." thread in here, you wouldn't quite have foamed at the mouth so easily. Because all it was, was a point. Not a personal attack on anyone, OR a complain about the mouth piece as a whole.

THAT does not at any point say ANYTHING insulting about this forum or anyone running it, it's a tongue-in-cheek way of making a point, which I still think is valid, and which is being looked at.

Meaning, maybe I am being a grouch... (funnily enough). BOTHERED - meaning, I'm not bothered if you say I am.

Now if you want to get your knickers in a twist, be my guest. But YOU are the one who is reading into things the wrong way. Tongue-in-cheek is me all over... I'm not the one getting emotional over a pretty genuine suggestion and moan. And since this has been moved to it's appropriate location, and YOU'RE the one causing a stir, I suggest we leave it to the mods to sort out. hmmm?

20. dyl

dyl Active Member

Ok - if we're still dragging this one out - I did not take your original post the wrong way. It started:

My comment about about it being posted before was added more or less as a PS at the bottom because if people wanted to continue discussing the subject then they could do so on the thread that had not been closed due to abusive posts.

Your suggestion about what to do only came into force later on.

When closing threads that are duplicated we only do so when they occur within a reasonable amount of time. We don't expect everyone to search the site before posting - though you will find other sites do insist on this - but we are realistic enough on here - hence why your original post was left open - the previous posting was at least 6 months prior - had it been 6 days or even 6 weeks then your original posting would have been locked 'on sight'. It was only locked when the 'abuse' started.

I have said that we are discussing your suggestiont - and that's the way it is. We have ways of doing things here on tMP - if people don't like them then by all means suggest alternatives - but there are ways of doing so - either pm any of us or post here in 'Suggestions......'

I fully agree with this comment:

Now I've explained my reasoning plenty of times - and am getting pretty tired of doing so if I'm being honest - this thread has run it's course. We will re-open it if and when we come to a decision as to your suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.