Close up Crocodile shot...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Aug 22, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Been so freeking busy here in J'brg that during lunchtime yesterday I decided I'd had enough, and went and spent an hour or so at the Johannesburg Zoo. It's only the equivalent of £2.50 to get in, and it's quite a massive place. I wanted to hire a buggy as I only intended to have a browse around for some nice animal pics, but they wouldn't let me hire one as I didn't have my drivers license with me!!! phah!

Anyway, managed to get this nice close up shot of a crocodile. Was only a juvenile around 5' long, but the close up angle of this seems to work nicely.

You like...?

2. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Now I'm going to have nasty dreams...
    That is stupendous. Dare I ask how (and indeed WHY) you got so close to a frickin' croc?!?
  3. TheMusicMan

Hey BMB, they were in an enclosure which was only 4' high and so I could reach over the top and slowly frame the image. I must admit though I was doing my load - this was about a 7' footer.

He had his eyes open all the time and didn't even blink - I bet he knew I was there and perhaps didn't like the look of his reflection in the lens of my camera.

Seriously though - I was about 3' feet away and used a quality macro zoom lens. I am pleased with this pic - in fact I have been told by a pro that I could even sell it :)
  4. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

It is a stunningly evocative pic John. Makes my spine crawl... .
    My mate Ian took a similar shot of a tiger in India - makes you realise just how different animals are from us when you lok straight into their eyes.
  5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

WOW! that's amazing! I'm very jealous, I'd love to have such a good camera....and I've heard South Africa is really nice....and not just from South African's! (I know a few!)
  6. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

That is a great picture.

I had a look a couple of days ago and last night I had a nightmare where the MD of my new brass band was releasing baby crocodiles into my bed... woke up screaming the house down!
  7. horn1

horn1 Member

That's a really great picture! I've spent most of the summer messing around with my new camera so I must get some up on here soon!!
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

My old band sergeant used to glare at me like that when I turned up to a gig in white socks....

His glare would have have melted your camera lens at fifty paces though...
  9. TheMusicMan

Many thanks all... appreciate your comments.

10. CraigJ

CraigJ New Member