Clive Graham

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by MRSH, Mar 16, 2011.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

It is with deep sadness I have to report the death of long time friend and tuba player Clive Graham who died in hospital this afternoon.

Clive had many friends in the brass band world and was so under-rated as a tuba player.

I'm afraid I don't know any details or information as yet but as soon as I do I will convey.

So sad.

RIP

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Clive Graham
    convey.So sad.RIP
    tuba player Clive Graham
    death of long time friend
    friends
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Horrible news indeed. Very much a larger than life character, and a fine (and much underrated, as Matt says) tuba player. My wife remembers him at the Workers' Music Association Summer Schools which they both used to attend, and she was saying how Clive was a marvellous help to the less experienced tuba players on the course.

Whilst I was making visits to Arran before I moved there, the local brass band entered a Brass In The Park at Newtongrange, entering in the non-competitive category. Arran Brass were short of numbers and Clive (along with other Croydon Band members) came up all the way to Scotland to help fill the band.

A man with a generous spirit who will always be remembered by those who knew him. Rest In Peace...

4. midnight_euph

midnight_euph Member

Another goes to the 'Great Bandroom'. :-(

5. mr_tuba

mr_tuba New Member

This is very sad news, Clive was a good friend and colleague in the bass section for many years. His personality was so big that the quality of his playing could easily be overlooked. I always had a sence of musicaly security when he was sitting next to me in the band.

I will miss Clive and will raise a glass to his memory.

6. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

The original Laserbeam Bass.

Rest in peace, buddy.

7. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

For those that knew Clive the date for his funeral has been set as Monday 4th of April at 4pm at Southampton Crematorium.

8. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Apologies for posting here but we really are at a dead end.

Clive Graham was one of our tenants in a property that he rented from us in Southampton, we are trying to find out if there are any family members that we could speak to concerning Mr Grahams personal possessions.

Naturally identification will be sought but could any family member please contact Gavin Naish at Martin & Co in Southampton on 02380 431456.

Many Thanks

Gavin

9. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Many friends were at Southampton Crematorium today to say goodbye to Clive.

A bander, excellent tuba player and a friend with a heart of gold. The crematorium played two brass band pieces - Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair and the Beatle's Hello Goodbye.

Three speakers took us through Clive's life but the story of when he invited two friends to dinner and ended up cooking Chicken in Tennents Super brought the most tears of laughter amongst those of sadness.

RIP mate. You will be missed.

10. mr_tuba

mr_tuba New Member

SO sorry to have missed Clive's send off, it just shows that I shoudl check in here more often. I can only echo Matt's comments. I know that Clive will often come to mind, especially when we play Aces High.

11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

A sad day, yesterday, but one that also included happy memories and a lot of laughter.

We'll miss you, Eric.

Dave and Samantha Payn

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Clive Graham
    convey.So sad.RIP
    tuba player Clive Graham
    death of long time friend
    friends
  13. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

Eric Smith aka Clive Graham

It was good to hear that Clive had a good send off, thanks from those of us who could not be there. Rest in peace Clive, so sorry that you could not find it until now.

14. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

A very sad loss. Clive was larger than life, and always happy to talk to a young player, who he knew through one of my non playing brother's wife.

He would trek across London from Walthamstow to Croydon, with his bass in a gig bag, and on the way back still get a seat on the night bus.

To the one and only Laserbeam Bass, thank you for the name. It was born at a contest when Clive was playing for Waltham Forest, and the adjudicator remarked, Letter C laserbeam bass!!!!!! I have been trying in vain for years to get a comment like that, but it took a special kind of player to do this.

RIP Clive

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011