cleaning sop

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnys, Mar 1, 2010.

1. johnys

johnys New Member

Whats the best to clean a frosted silver sop cprnet
    John

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cprnetJohn
    frosted silver sop cprnetJohn
    cleaning sop Whats
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I'm amazed anyone's still playing them! Sopranos have changed so much over the past 20 years, there are so few old ones around as players prefer to use the more modern designs.

I'm no expert, but I always had problems with satin finished instruments. They looked lovely when new, but soon picked up dirt and grime which became ingrained in the rough surface. As a lad, I played on my Dad's B&H Imperial Euphonium and was often given a hard time about having a 'dirty' instrument even though I cleaned it religiously!

I would suggest cleaning with the usual soap and water and perhaps using a small amount of Silvo on the really dirty bits. Perhaps start on an inside corner as a 'test' area. Other than that, I think it's really just a quirk of the finish B&H used and dark patches are only to be expected.

Best of luck anyway!

4. _si

_si Member

would a steam cleaner work on a frosted finish to get the grime out?

5. agentorange

agentorange Member

A good friend of mine puts his in the dishwasher! That with a normal silver plated finish though, rather than a frosted finish. Not something i'd recommend, although it doesn't seem to have done his any harm!!

6. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

Who might that be then Neil? :)

7. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

you can get a chemical to mix with water and soak, this does a good job, make sure the container you use is not important though. when I did this with an EEb Bass it took 6 months to clean the bath.

8. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

I know it sounds a bit of a waste of perfectly good alcohol, but I know that some jewellers use Gin to clean their silverware.

It may do the trick!

Mark H.

9. daveredhead

daveredhead Member

Hi, Do we drink the Gin and then breath on the sop, or let the front row drink the gin and all turn round to give the sop a gleam, He He

10. johnys

johnys New Member

Thanks for all the tips, yes its an oldy but a goody bit like me really.
    John

11. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

Don't know how easy it is to get on your side of the Atlantic, but I like Hagerty's spray polish (also available in a non-aerosol bottle).

Spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two, rinse off with running water, and you're good to go. No rubbing, wiping, or buffing necessary.

Works as well as their regular polish, with much less effort.\

:tup:tup

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    cprnetJohn
    frosted silver sop cprnetJohn
    cleaning sop Whats
  13. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Hey Dave
    Don't drink the Gin, otherwise you'll look even more like Father Jack from Craggy Island!!!
    + remember we need a clear head for the area.
    Cheers M.H.

14. 007ish

007ish Member