Cleaning inside Tuba

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tubazz, May 31, 2011.

1. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

Hi, has anyone had their tuba ultrasonic cleaned ? what is the best way to clean the inside of a Bb tuba, or can you get a proffessional job done,cos mine is digusting atm :(
  2. klh

klh New Member

put it in the bath for a soak, towel on the bottom to save bass and bath and then a shower after. When dry lots of silver polish and elbow grease will do the job :)
  3. John_D

John_D Member

I'm assuming you mean cleaning the inside. Whenever I've had one to clean I've always taken all the slides out before giving it a bath. Clean all slides with a variety of bottle brushes etc (the one I have for my cornet never seems to be big enough for tubas - maybe there are larger ones available).
    I've then taken it outside (on nice day) and connected hosepipe from outside tap onto mouthpipe and turned tap on (I'd rather the grime went away from mouthpipe rather than towards it.
  4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Had My EEb done proffesionaly. Chem clean the works. It all came up looking like new, even the holes in the Valves.
    Tried that soak in the Bath years ago, took my mum 6 months to get the bath clean.
  5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

You can now buy a metaless snake brush for tubas - from Alan Gregory Music at about £20.

Have yet to try it - but a bath in a few Steradent tablets seems to work well - give it a good soak - nice and minty afterwards.
  6. klh

klh New Member

whilst the hosepipe is good it's a bit cold!
  7. pbirch

pbirch Member list.html

I've just had my tuba done here, it is worth the money, but thier pricelist might be a bit out of date
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Let it have a nice long soak in the bath. Put the slides in the sink and give them the same treatment. If you can afford one of the special bottle brush thingies, give all slides and inside of valve casings a gentle rub. Get all the old vaseline off the slides and give them a new coating. Give it a nice dry polish with a soft terry towel. I use one of those non-slip bath mats to protect the bath (you might need two and if this is the first time it's been done in a century, you will have to be especially nice to whoever cleans up the mess (including yourself ;-))) I generally add one or two drops of fairy liquid (non bio) to the bath water and a drop or two of Dettol. This helps it to smell better, if not to sound so! ;-)
  9. pbirch

pbirch Member

little and often is probably the answer. and probably safer than trying to clean it in a bath. If it is a lacquered instrument remember to use cold water only.
    i think as well that the state ofthe inside of your mouthpiece will be a guide to the state of the inside of your instrument, if you are eating pasties on your way to practice, or cakes and biscuits at half time, and don't clean your teeth before playing, the debris will get into your leadpipe.
  10. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

11. bobbyp

bobbyp Member

Now that would be interesting... ;)

Someone should do something like that at Butlins next year!
  12. simonium

simonium Member

Definitely worth putting a hosepipe on the mouthpipe and blasting water through the instrument with the valves in - this cleans the connecting tubes between the valves and you wouldn't believe how much "matter" can linger there. It's practically impossible to clean these adequately any other way. I wash my mouthpiece through after every practice and concert as a habit - it won't eliminate material building up but it is noticeably easier to keep my Bb tenor banjo clean.
  13. JDH

JDH Member

Take care if taking tuba in the bath. Filled with water it will be VERY heavy. You risk dropping and severely damaging the instrument, or doing your back in lifting.

I only ever flush my tubas out with soapy water between main tuning slide and mouthpiece which is where any food debris tends to collect. Definitely worth using snake inside mouthpipe, that gets absolutely disgusting over time.
  14. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I should have mentioned that!:oops: