Classical music - what a rip off?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DrCornet, May 28, 2004.

1. DrCornet

DrCornet New Member

Anyone else fed up with the blatant ripping off that’s going on in the world of classical music? I was listening to Classic FM last night and caught Delibes’ latest hit “March and procession of Bachus”. The trumpet fanfare was obviously copied from the Night Rider theme, that 80’s Hasslehoff classic. It’s simply not good enough. Anyone else got any examples of such dishonest plagiarism in the classical music world?
  2. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I was watching a new cartoon called Barbie as Rapunzel and I noted, although some other guy got all the credit for the music, there was (I think it was) Shoshtakovich's Romeo and Juliet used!! Or some other Russian's......either way, it was the theme of the Montague and Capulets
  3. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I noticed the other night that the theme music for the Champions League TV coverage bore a startling similarity to one of Handel's Coronation Anthems. I'd no idea that Handel was a footie fan but he's clearly nicked some of the best bits, just as Faure pinched the last World Cup theme for his dismal and over-rated Pavanne.

4. HunkySteve

HunkySteve Member

Faure did a cracking Requiem though...

5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Yeah, the champions league them is just the start of Zadok the Priest with some 'oh so clever' chord inversions.
  6. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Tchaikovsky clearly stole from the 'Home Alone' soundtrack for the Trepak in his Nutcracker Suite.........all thiefs and imposters these Russians :wink:
  7. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

And what of all those composers of famous name who have shamelessly ripped off the much-celebrated Sir Andrew Lloyd-Webber! :roll:
  8. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Well it had to happen some day...there are only so many sequences of notes that can be put together to make a melody!!! :roll: :? :roll:

But I'm sure they haven't all been used up yet :?: :?

:lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
  9. Steve Marcus

Steve Marcus Member

On this matter, no composer can outdo P.D.Q. Bach:

"His plagiarism was limited only by his faulty technique."

- Prof. Peter Schickele
  10. Humphrey

Humphrey Member

To die for :D
  11. onedrummeruk

onedrummeruk Member

Yup clearly the 1712 overture (PDQ) came before the 1812 (another Russian), I won't hear anyone say it wasnt.
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

True story - sadly.

1991. Italia '90 still fresh in the mind.

My office soccer team's left back, built like a brick out house, starts going out with a beautiful lassie from the upper class, who for some reason was working at my office.

She, being cultured takes him to the opera.

He comes in the following morning, and says....

"BbBass cheek, that Puccini. He's nicked the BbBass theme from Italia BbBass '90 and tried to make it sound BbBass classical by putting it in a BbBass opera!"

He was a terrific footballer, but had very little upstairs :D
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Anyone played the "Theme from Hovis" recently :?:
    - genuine announcement I heard a few years back :shock: :oops: :wink:
  14. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Always sounds good followed by that "Lone Ranger Theme Tune" don't you think Peter? :wink:
  15. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The most obvious classical rip off merchant is a little known composer by the name of Candlelight. Being a Londoner, I often pass St Martin in the Fields and regulaly see posters advertising lunchtime concerts proclaiming 'The Four Seasons by Candlelight', 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik by Candlelight', 'Brandenburg Concertos by Candlelight' etc. etc. and yet no action is taken against this most blatant and disgraceful plagiarism. It's an absolute disgrace.

......I'll get me coat......
  16. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

The Jonothan Creek them tune is brilliant! Probably the most original I have ever heard! Bravo to the composer, and middle-finger to Saint-saens!
  17. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

done that in school, no1 calls it the new world symphony, its just the hovis advert
  18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

What? Even your teacher??? :shock:

.....I dunno teachers today.....

TIMBONE Active Member

Thay 'Bizet' bloke annoyed me, pinching music advertisig Esso petrol AND Bacofoil.
  20. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

when will you southerners learn? BbBass is not a swear word!

My favourite one though, is when you have cds of the melodies you know from the adverts. like the british airways one, that's a good tune.