Classical music published by The SA or arranged by 'SA' composers

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnflugel, Jul 31, 2012.

1. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Simple one this - name your favourites and/or the ones that you think should be recorded again or perhaps even for the first time..............

2. pbirch

pbirch Member

George Marshalls transcription of the first movement of Schubert's 8th Symphony
    William Himes transcription Elsa Procession
    Micheal Kenyons transcriptions of Chabriers Marche Joyeuse and themes from Schubert's 5th Symphony

3. John Brooks

John Brooks Active Member

Themes from the Italian Symphony - Mendelssohn, arr. Dean Goffin and I agree with Mr. Birch re Brian Bowen's transcription of the Schubert 5th.

Dvorak's New World was recorded not too long ago by Enfield Citadel but not RS-A's Melodies of Dvorak which I really like.

When can I place my order ;)

4. pbirch

pbirch Member

I am sure that it was Michael Kenyon who arranged the Schubert, my only quibble with RSA's New World is that he recomposed the ending, Dvorak finished on a quiet note of some ambiguity, rather than a loud note of triumph. I think I prefer Dvoraks ending

5. John Brooks

Just thought of a couple more: Fugue in G, Bach, arr. Erik Leidzen - only recording I'm aware of is by the New York Staff Band back in the 60's. It's short but really works well with brass. Also, someone (sorry, I can't remember who) arranged the Litolf Scherzo from Concerto Symphonique for a Canadian Staff Band concert in Toronto. It's never been recorded and, to my knowledge has never been used since (Black Dyke recorded a different transcription on Ivory and Brass with pianist Keith Swallow).

6. John Brooks

Can't say I'm aware of a Michael Kenyon arrangement of the Schubert 5th; maybe Brian can clarify but it's Brian's transcription I have in mind.

7. stevetrom

stevetrom Active Member

with reference to another topic re: why don't more non SA bands play SA music.

a post was made stating that ALL SA music had to have a religous reference.

Do all the classical pieces meet this?

8. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Yes, the version of Schubert's 5th Symphony published by the SA is mine.

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sains-Saens: Marche militaire francaise (arr Kenyon); Tchaikovsky: Marche slave (arr Phillips); Tchaikovsky: Finale to 4th Symphony (Bill Gordon?)

10. pbirch

pbirch Member

sorry about that, it has been far too long since we played it, and I think it is a great piece, both in its original version and yours.

11. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

I remember hearing a Trevor Davis arrangment that the ISB played in New Zealand around 1997 when they were there. i think it was the overture to sleeping beauty or similar. Does anyone know of it

12. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

The music was Excerpts from Act 1 of Swan Lake and the visit to New Zealand was in 1995.

13. kiwiinoz

kiwiinoz Member

Thanks so much for that. My bad on both the name of the piece and the year of the tour. The years are flying arent they!!

14. John Brooks

Treasures from Tchaikovsky, arr. Bramwell Coles
    Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 - Liszt, arr. Robert Redhead
    Rondo Alla Turca - Mozart, arr. Erik Leidzen
    Concerto for Trombone - Rimsky-Korsakov, arr. Robert Redhead

15. pbirch

pbirch Member

anyone remember playing 'Melodies from Great Composers" in the old unity series books? I think it was my first introduction to classical music.

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Coronation march from The Prophet (Meyerbeer arr Jakeway).

17. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Arrangements of Classical music were one of the original types of non-religious allowed; hence quite a lot of them in the early years.

18. bbg

bbg Member

As I recall from questioning this as a young SA player, apparently "quality" (classical) music was seen as a way of proving the musical ability of emerging SA bands; it also attracted non-SA musical devotees; there was also a view that most of the classical composers recognised their gifts as being God-given and indeed inscribed scores to that effect.......all (or none!) of these may be correct.

Re Unity Series "Great Composers" - remember it well!! Band lads (few girls back in the 60s/early 70s) everywhere tok great delight in giving big licks to "William Tell" in front of the old dears.......

One classical arrngement that comes to mind is the beautiful "Gymnopedie No 1" which if I recall did have SA words set to it.

19. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

It's published in the Festival Series, No. 486, but I'm not aware of anyone setting words to it -- and probably best not to.

20. bbg

bbg Member

I stand corrected by two impeccable sources re my imagined words - the estimable Mr Bowen and also my wife who assures me that I am talking nonsense (for once?!) !