Classic ignorance

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by imthemaddude, Mar 17, 2006.

1. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

There is a pupil that I teach at school and I said to one of the teachers "Is X in your tutor group, who know the one that plays bass" and he replied "X, yea but he's a rugby player, he doesn't play the bass". So I thought I had got the surname wrong so I searched the pda I have to find which tutor group this lad was in. When the teacher came back into the staffroom, I said " are you sure X isnt in your tutor group" and he said " yea he is but I think he plays the tuba not the bass". DOH!

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

;) ... you're lucky, he might have thought he played string or electric bass!

3. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

My dad still has problems understanding why I don't play flute in brass band (even though I've been in them for about 3 years now).
    "But you were playing it when I came to watch the orchestra last month..."

Doh!

4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Bass is a bit of a mis-nomer though. It's really short for bass tuba. And euphonium is a tenor tuba. Saying "bass" could just as easily be bass guitar, or more likely string bass in a lot of peoples minds.

5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

saying you play a baritone gets you similar results. Baritone what? is the usual answer. BAritone horn means nothing to most people and trying to convince the guy in a large music shop in Newcastle that I didn't play the baritone sax took some doing

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Quite. As an ex colleague at Fulham Band once mused when he heard that someone was complaining of having to lug a heavy baritone about...

'What, Bryn Terfel?'

;)

7. Di

Di Active Member

Agreed. I had a long discussion (I should really have been taking dictation ;) ) the other day at work. Said we're busy rehearsing for a couple of major competitions, Vicki for the Radio 2 thing and all of us with the 2 bands for the area. He asked what we played and I said my daughter plays the tenor horn and myself, the baritone. He then said " ah like Black Dyke and Grimethorpe and down t'pit and all that" :rolleyes: and made a note to have the radio on on the right day. Having put him right on his previous comment, he then said "ah, you just can't get enough sax on the radio these days". Arrrrrrggghhhhh. I'm sure I could hear the note he'd written been torn up once I explained a tenor horn wasn't a saxaphone! :rolleyes:

8. My mum can't understand why saxophones aren't allowed in brass band ('but they're the same colour, aren't they?) and she tells me 'I don't know why you call it a cornet, it's a trumpet'. Yes mother....then I told her I was playing the tenor horn, that really confused her 'What's that' but at least there was no starnge relationship to another instrument made.

9. Alisop

Alisop Member

It can also work the other way though, I used (a long time ago) to think that Britten had written a piece for Tenor Horn and strings rather than Tenor, Horn and strings. But I also used to think if you had a car with a 2 litre engine it ment that you could only get 2 litres of petrol in the tank!

10. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

lol, my dad used to think that too - he brought me that music years ago!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tutor group
    pupil
    X isnt
    rugby player
    Classic ignorance
  12. paddo

paddo Member

yeh, parents eh!

my parents haven't had a lot to do with my playing until I joined my local band about 8 years ago. 3-4 years in to this (20 years after playing in the top section with Brodsworth) I was helping several top bands out, including Grimey, Calrton Main and YBS........ and my Mum said to me, "why are you that good"?????")

Talk about a knife in the back or what!

13. JDH

JDH Member

Outside bands never use the terms "Bass" but always "Tuba" otherwise no-one but other bander will know what you are talking about.

In any case, the instrument is really a tuba, as bass is just its musical part within the band.

PS Learning to play as a kid, for years I never knew the instrument I was playing was a tuba, as everyone around me called it a bass. I used to tell people I played a brass bass - it was a revelation when I first saw a tuba in an orchestra and realised that was the instrument I play!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

A student teacher I had in my department last year told the kids a saxophone was a brass instrument. I almost died of shock (and again when a really naughty lad told her it was a woodwind instrument!!)

15. horn1

horn1 Member

That's brilliant! I don't think my kids would manage that, even though I've told them till I'm blue in the face!

16. Ste69

Ste69 Member

I had a rather bad cold sore type thing and I went to the doctors (as it was in the run up to the areas) and told her I needed something to clear it up so that I could play my tuba (stopped trying to say bass to people ages ago) and she said.

"well does it hurt when you play your machine???"

17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Only the female of the species....................................