Classic FM Hall of Fame 2012

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Getzonica, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

It's that time of year again - voting has started for the Classic FM Hall of Fame 2012!

What are people voting for?

I've voted for Enter the Galaxies by Paul Lovatt Copper, Resurgam by Eric Ball and then the Soundtrack to Pirates of Caribbean by Hans Zimmer.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pirates of Caribbean
    Classic FM Hall of Fame
    Eric Ball
    Hans Zimmer
    Galaxies
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Anything by Carl Davis, especially the Armed Man (Sanctus in particular)

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Pagannini, Tallis, Devil. All original repertoire, all very listenable, all a great showcase for how brilliant a brass band can sound. Plus with Pagannini being last year's area piece and Devil being this year's, maybe a bit of a tie in.

PS - Rapier. Don't you mean Karl Jenkins?

5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Oh yes Karl Jenkins. I'm cracking up, it's an age thing.

6. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

Please vote for (in any order): Penderecki - St Luke Passion, Crumb - Black Angels, Xenakis - Keqrops. This is an attempt to get something abit different into the chart and have abit more variation.

Thanks

7. Thirteen Ball

I'd rather get some brass in the chart, Tom - but appreciate your sentiment about moving away from the same few dozen pieces of repertoire.....

8. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Agree, it would be nice to have different brass in it this time! Give other composers the recognision they deserve

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

nice sentiment, but the danger is you dilute the votes and then nothing gets enough. The only way to be sure some original BB music gets into the HoF is to target voting for specific composers/pieces.

10. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

That's a point - didn't think of that! Which three or so pieces would you like to see?

I think some of Paul Lovatt-Cooper's music is very good, but the there's Eric Ball, Peter Graham, Philip Spark.... etc

11. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

That's where it gets tricky, because personal choice can be so varied - I wouldn't vote for one of the names you've mentioned even if I was paid to do it, lol!

Last year I went for Resurgam, Paganini Vars and Penlee (Simon Dobson) - there was a lot of buzz online to drum up support for Penlee, which clearly worked because it made it up to no. 106. It would be great to see something similar happening this year.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Pirates of Caribbean
    Classic FM Hall of Fame
    Eric Ball
    Hans Zimmer
    Galaxies
  13. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Indeed it would!

14. FlyingCrow

FlyingCrow New Member

Partita -Sparke
    Resurgam -Ball
    Festival Music -Ball

:D

15. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Agreed!

Last year, British Bandsman ran its own poll to choose 3 pieces most likely to make an impact in the Classic FM Hall of Fame 2011.
    The outcome was A Moorside Suite, Cloudcatcher Fells and Pageantry but even then it was only A Moorside Suite which made it into the Hall of Fame (and then the wind band version was played on air!).

It was an extraordinary effort which propelled Penlee towards the top 100 last year and I recall that the other two brass band pieces to make the Hall of Fame were Resurgam and The Lord is King. I was canvassed to vote for Penlee and The Lord is King but I don't remember any particular prompting for Resurgam (or Resergem as it was pronounced on air!).

16. Thirteen Ball

I still think we're missing a trick if we don't all get behind pushing the top section area piece each year. I mean this year it's a brilliant bit of music, very involving, very listenable, and might actually serve to tell people we play this calibre of music every year! A lot of people still think of brass band contests as whit friday - so it's a brilliant opportunity to show them some brilliant, virtuoso original repertoire and underline that brass bands is not all about marches and hymns on street corners.

If all the banders put "Devil" on their lists it could only be a good thing for banding.

17. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Call me a heretic....but....Isn't this poll about people's own opinions? If you have to coordinate votes to try and 'force' brass band pieces onto the list (even amongst brass banders!) does that not just say that they're not as popular amongst the listening demographic as Lark Ascending?......

18. Thirteen Ball

Of course you're right, Kieth. My post was more about the encouragement we are often given to vote for certain pieces on this and other pages - as a large part of the reason brass pieces are not as popular as the classical repertoire is the simple fact that they don't get the exposure. Even over christmas when avoiding brass music is largely impossible, the only band I ever heard on classic FM were London Brass, who - though undoubtedly a fine ensemble - are certainly not a brass band.

My point was that if we collectively did decide to pick 'a piece to push' as has previously been encouraged, then it should be something relavent (area piece this year) listenable (undoubtedly) exciting and different from 'traditional' repertoire. (Yes on both counts.)

Of course, everyone's free to vote for whatever they want - but if they chose to use one of their votes to promote brass band music, there are several positive arguments to vote for Devil and the deep.

19. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

In the last week of November 2008, the ISB's Together album was Classic FM's CD of the Week and a group of us played some Christmas carols live on air on the Monday morning. (Together is on the Universal label, not Doyen, Polyphonic, Obrasso or SP&S by the way!)

Our host was a gentleman called Sam Jackson who, at that time, was Executive Producer - Music and Events.
    Having thought ahead (the opportunity to hand deliver brass band CDs to Classic FM doesn't come up very often!), I took several Christmas brass band CDs with me (Black Dyke, YBS, ISB etc.) and presented them to Mr Jackson along with my business card.
    He had a good look at the CDs and said that they would definately get some airtime in December and that he would email me when they were scheduled. Needless to day, I never got an email and, having trawled Classic FM's December 2008 schedule, I failed to find any evidence of any track from my CDs being played.

I have continued to send Classic FM a selection of CDs which I think they might be interested in. I had high hopes of Moto Perpetuo getting some airplay seeing as it features the euphonium concerto by one of the most popular composers of Classic FM's audience, Karl Jenkins but alas......

A glance at Classic FM's playlist suggests that they stick to the well-known, popular and easy-listening type of so-called classical music. Therefore, do we think that brass bands are a 'fit' for Classic FM anyway?

20. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Certainly Classic FM do not. I hear they have a fair collection of brass band cds but do not use them! Pity. We have a vast library of the type of music that we play, that would suit thier criteria. I think that as brass bands are in the mionority, these days, we are not 'loud' enouigh to put ouir 'best foot forward' and say how about us?

21. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

We were delighted to get into the chart last year with our recording of Penlee, but I can't honestly say I've been made aware of another broadcast of the piece other than in the original chart broadcast at Easter. This is despite it being the highest new entry, regardless of genre. If someone can inform me otherwise, I'll take it all back!
    Same with Resurgam, while Moorside Suite (as mentioned before) and Downland Suite are broadcast in alternative instrumentations (wind band and strings respectively), and not as the composers originally intended. It's almost as if they go out of their way to not play brass band music. I'm with Carl. Though I often enjoy listening to some of the music on Classic FM in the car (Radio 3 is generally to quiet and relaxed for driving outside of prom season), it is a pop-chart station for orchestras.

22. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I'm with you there, Keith. I put this effort squarely in the "Life's too short" box.

Even if this thread secures a large and coordinated turnout for the vote, artificially boosting some band piece way up their ranking, what's the prize? A play or two on a cheesy radio station before being utterly forgotten. Why bother?

Now a brass band for Eurovision - that would be an effort worth getting behind... Huge exposure.