Classic Brass - Grimethorpe

Discussion in ' User Reviews' started by Accidental, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Not so much a review as questions....
    Does anyone know who was playing on the original Classic Brass album (the 1980's orange one with William Tell, Mr Jums etc)? I'd love to know who the amazing sop is, and who's playing Misty. Imo this is still one of the best all-round recordings out there, but there's no info about it. Anyone able to help?
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Peter Roberts
  3. Accidental

Thought so! Wish I'd put some money on it now.........
    Any ideas on Misty? not even convinced I know wether its horn or flugel 'cos it sounds different every time I hear it :-?
  4. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

IsenĀ“t it Frank Renton conducting ?
  5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Hehe - same here! If its flugel I guess it's Mark Walters, and if its horn it could be Brian Smith?
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- definitely tenor horn! ;)
  7. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Certainly not a flugel.......
  8. zak

zak Member

I'm pretty certain its Brian Smith playing Misty :clap:
  9. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well if this man dont know who does:confused:
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- perhaps the soloist, band & conductor who recorded the number? ;)
  11. zak

zak Member

Why didn't I think of that?????? ;) ;) ;)

Good thinking Batman :clap:
  12. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Two out of three - Grimethorpe Colliery Band, conducted by Frank Renton.

That just leaves the soloist?
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I'm pretty certain it's Bryan Smith as well ... even if he isn't listed as the soloist for Misty on the Grimey site (no-one is!). Maybe Alan Morrison can confirm this the next time he visits tMP?
  14. Accidental

Thanks guys.
    Glad to hear it really is a horn and I'm not totally nuts and/or deaf.;)
  15. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

It is such an awesome CD. We're not worthy Mr Roberts.

I almost wore out the tape, I rewinded the end of McArthur Park and replayed it so much!
  16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I have it on cd thankfully, if I'd had it on tape Macarthur Park would have worn away years ago. What an ending.

And the Finale from Faust is just awesome. :eek:
  17. Ankanala

Ankanala Member

Hi all

This CD still remains perhaps the best band recording I have been involved in. It was recorded at Strawberry Studios in Stockport in less than a day and included several tracks that went down in one take! It was for EMI - Music for Pleasure.

Frank Renton conducted, I was PC and the band included Peter Roberts on sop, Mark Walters on Flugel, Brian Smith on Horn, Billy Millar on Euph and it may have been Chris Jeans on Trombone but I can`t quite remember. It was about the time Chris had a short spell with Grimethorpe.

Frank and the band were on top form and the production is superb as you would expect from EMI.

Misty was played on horn by Brian Smith.

Hope this clears up any doubt.

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Thanks for that Alan ... apart from the spelling of his name ... is it Brian or Bryan? Personal favourite track of mine isn't 'MacArthur Park' but Garry Howarth's band version of 'Mr. Lear's Carnival'. Superb listening, even today!
  19. Ankanala

Ankanala Member

You may be right, was never very good at spelling!

20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- his name's been differently spelled from different sources. For such a longstanding member of Grimey, he must have been taken for granted ... in the nicest possible sense that is! One of the unsung heroes of horn playing!