Clarence Adoo Band, Hadleigh, 17th July

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by PeterBale, Jun 3, 2010.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

• Hadleigh Temple, Saturday 17th July 2010, 7pm:

The Clarence Adoo Band

conducted by

Doctor Howard Evans

supported by

Hadleigh Temple Songsters

Tickets £7 (£5 concessions) from Denise Murray of the Clarence Adoo Trust (Tel 07890 885748 ) or email clarence.fundraising@yahoo.com

Alternatively contact Brian Nichols (Hadleigh Temple) Tel 01268 795555

Cheques payable to the Clarence Adoo Trust

More details about Clarence and the trust at www.clarence.org.uk

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    CENTER
    Hadleigh
    Hadleigh Temple
    Blue
    @yahoo.com
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

A great cause and the concert I went to was fab - do get along if you can.

4. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

The band items have now been confirmed by Clarence Adoo and Howard Evans and will be as follows;

Celebration (Leslie Condon)
    Reflections in Nature (Robert Redhead)
    Go Down Moses (Leonard Ballantine)
    The Old Wells (Eric Ball)
    The Day Thou Gavest (Clement Scholefield arr. Philip Wilby)
    Victorian Snapshots - On Ratcliff Highway (Ray Steadman-Allen)

INTERVAL

Heaven Came Down (Eiliv Herikstad)
    Shoeburyness (Eiliv Herikstad)
    The Light of the World (Dean Goffin)
    Shine as the Light (Peter Graham)
    Cobham Hall (Norman Bearcroft)

Among the audience will be Eiliv Herikstad who is flying in from Norway and will be 'in conversation' with Clarence.

5. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Met Clarence when our Band was at Newcastle Corps, a Christian Gent, and badly treated by his Insurers!

6. PeterBale

Looks to be a good programme, and it will be great to meet Eiliv Herikstad again - a real Christian gentleman who made quite an imporession when he took a practice with us a few years ago.

7. PeterBale

Thanks to kjm for pointing out that I had given the date as the 18th, when of course it is Saturday 17th - next week :oops:

Sorry for any confusion, and look forward to seeing lots of you there ;)

8. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

The awesome trombone section will be; Andrew Mackereth, Dudley Bright, Carl Shepherd and Derek Bishop!

Derek is an amazing bass trombonist. For the 2006 concert, he turned up with a 1960s Conn Elkhart 71H which he'd bought on US Ebay for $600 and sounded better than anyone I'd heard in a long time!

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

To be fair, the 71H is a great bass trombone that amateur players have mostly forgotten about these days. I play its double dependent valve sibling, the 73H, and find that other musicians around me in all settings tend to be quite pleasantly surprised to hear that old-fashioned bass trombone sound - lacking in the tubbiness that so many modern models suffer from.

Geeky bass trombonists (don't know any of those... :rolleyes:) sometimes rave about the 90s RSNO (?) recording of Richard Strauss's Alpine Symphony, and specifically about the monstrous pedal Gs that Bob Hughes laid down in the Summit section. What they often forget is that those notes are doubled between trombones 3 and 4 - the other player was Derek Bishop, who rarely gets any credit. Both were playing old Conns, I believe - and both on Bach 2G mouthpieces. Interesting to compare how pleasing the effect of that relatively small equipment is versus the effect of the slide-tuba bazookas that often get employed in bands.

Wish I'd heard the section for this concert now...