Clapping Bands on stage

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by aqua76, Sep 12, 2004.

1. aqua76

aqua76 Member

With the Open coming up this weekend, ive been wondering about the whole issue of bands being applauded when they come on stage.

Only seems to happen with a 'select' few and then all u hear is the ssshs and ooohs from the audience.

Why cant every bands be applauded on stage?? They are the best bands in the country so surely a bit of appreciation is due to them?

Just irritates me that the audiences feel that only some bands should be applauded.

How do the bands on stage feel? Isnt it a bit weird walking onto stage to silence?
    I for one would rather have some applause and support from the audience.

I may start clapping at band number one on Saturday, so if you see me being evicted from the hall you will know why ;-)

Jane
    Dalmellington Band

2. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

The only way to stop this problem is, as you say, for people to clap all bands. It's far better to encourage the audience to clap all bands onto the stage than try to stop the audience clapping anyone.

3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

:shock: I cant believe that some people have the nerve to stop others clapping some of the bands! Not very good bandsmanship is it! :rolleyes:

4. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

they dont want u clappin because aparently it adds time to the contest...or something equally as gay as that!

5. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

What happens is that certain 'big name' bands get clapped on. No wonder people are annoyed at that.

6. aqua76

aqua76 Member

If they are so concerned about time, then maybe we should stop clapping after the bands as well. That would certainly save some time!!

What a load of tosh!! All players involved in any contest, whether British Open, Nationals or a local contest have worked hard and deserve a bit of recognition and appreciation at the time and effort they have put into their 'hobby'

Lighten up Mr(s) Organiser and let us show our appreciation!!

Plus, when everyone is clapping, we can whistle at the cute guys too ;-)

Jane
    Dalmellington Band

7. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I think it is an all or nothing thing; either each and every band is applauded or they are all left to trod on accompanied solely by their footsteps.

However, if say YBS/ Dyke/ 'name band' take to the stage and the crowd is encouraged to applaud then no doubt they will get a good reception (because the hall is likely to be full or as full as it will be). But if Greensplat Welfare Temperance Band take to the stage, then their applause may not be quite so grand (because they have a smaller audience). A cynic would say that that is unfair to poor ol' Greensplat. The safe option therefore is to have nobody applaud.

Perhaps that is just taking it too far though...

Igg

(Open adjudication would resolve the problem)

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You've summed up the arguments pretty well (and I would personally strongly support your last comment as well ;) ). The problem is that, no matter how hard you try to stop people applauding the "name" bands, there will always be someone who will clap, even if it is then accompanied by attempts to hush them up. That whole scenario would quickly alert those in the box, if they didn't already know, that one of the fancied contenders was taking the stage.

Therefore it sems to me to make much more sense for reasonable applause to be given to every band. If they are worried about the time factor, then by all means cut down on the unnecessary milking of applause at the end of the performance which, even if the performance had not registered brilliantly with the adjudicators, could well influence them as they complete their remarks and placinings.

9. andyp

andyp Active Member

I'm puzzled why banning clapping at the start would save time, surely the band is walking on at this point, so it would take a certain amount of time for them to walk on, sit down, arrange their mutes/water bottles/lucky mascots/conductor/whatever how they want them, etc. Once they're ready to play then there should be silence anyway.
    Whenever our training band has contested (usually Fleetwood), the audience has applauded them onto the stage, as they do for all the youth bands in the section, and I've never known it cause a problem, for the younger ones it's nice that they get some encouragement before they play.
    I think there's maybe a little too much "Jerry Springer"- style whooping goes on at times, though. Should be left in the US where it belongs. If I was judging it'd put me off, as if the band's supporters are trying too hard to up the band's performance, if it's that good it shouldn't need the whoops!

10. jpbray

jpbray Member

Isn't clapping a band on stage all about banding ettiquete. :-?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    issue
    bit
    few
    appreciation
    audience
  12. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

The simple fact is that everyone is asked not to do it, it's generally accepted by the vast majority of those in attendance that this is what happens.

I can both sides to the argument really - some applaud to simply to welcome and encourage the band on stage but some abuse it by taking the opportunity to scream at their mates on stage.

I can also see why the organsiers want to enforce it. I guess they want to keep and absolutely level 'playing field'. Not every band in the Open will be applauded on stage so maybe that's where the problem is - maybe if every band was applauded onto the stage it would stop the taboo.

Correct me if I am wrong but at the European, every band was applauded on stage. It felt different to the UK contests: more about the Brits welcoming the visiting 'European' bands and the Europeans cheering the top UK bands who they idolise. There were no requests not to applaud: whether this is because EBBA are a bit more casual about it or they did not want to print or announce 'do not clap bands onto the stage' in 10 different languages!

Until the organisers say otherwise, I will do as I am told. They ask people not to discuss draw numbers or band names within ear shot of the box which seems to be accepted.