Clacton on Sea Co Op Band News

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Barrowboy, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Barrowboy

Barrowboy New Member

Welcome to the e-mail newsletter from the Clacton-on-Sea Co-operative Band

This e-mail is being sent to friends and supporters of the band as well as organisations in the Clacton area, to publicise the band and concerts. Please forward the e-mail to anyone you know who would be interested in attending the bands concerts.
    Hi everyone.
    I mentioned in the last newsletter that we were competing in Stevenage on Sunday 16th. We did OK but not as well as we would have liked. We came 7th out of 12 bands, so mid table, but at least we remain in the Championship Section - the Premier League of banding. I would like to pass on my personal thanks to Terry Brotherhood who conducted us on the day - he travelled all the way from Oxford to rehearse us and those drives home must have been very tiring. Secondly I want to thank the players. In the week before the contest we rehearsed on four consecutive nights. With only three of the band living in Clacton the rest of us spent many hours on the road to and from Clacton - a massive time commitment for which I am very grateful.
    Concerts
    I listed the 2008 concerts we are playing in the Town Hall in the last newsletter - well actually there are only 8 :) This year the band is celebrating 60 years and we will be using the last concert of the season (21st September) to commemorate the event. More details to follow.
    There are a couple more concerts outside of Clacton that you may be interested in. We will be using the theme "Celebrating 60 years of music" at a concert in St. Botolphs Church, Colchester on Saturday 12th April at 8pm. We will be choosing music from each of the 6 decades in the programme so there should be music for all ages. There is a map on their web site if you are unsure of the location - http://www.stbotolph.fsnet.co.uk/
    Second concert is on Saturday 12th July in St. Mary Church, Church Lane, Bocking near Braintree. This is the local church of our Flugel Player, Graham Shaw, and he organises a concert in the grounds each year. I will let you have more details and how to get tickets etc. in a later newsletter but please put the date in your diary. I have played there before and it was a great evening.
    A quick reminder that our next concert in Clacton is on Sunday 4th May where we are to be joined by the Beaufort Male Choir from Ebbw Vale, South Wales.
    Contest
    With the area contest behind us we will soon start rehearsing for the entertainment contest in Norwich on 11th May. We have done brilliantly in past years and will be putting in loads of work to retain the winning trophy.
    Robert Nunnery
    Robert is still unwell and unable to conduct the band. I am pleased to announce that Mark Ager has offered to help us. Many of you may remember Mark as he was our MD for many years in the 90's. Mark is conductor of Haverhill Band, where he lives, so he will soon be getting reunited with the road to Clacton. Mark will be taking the band up to the contest in Norwich but meanwhile we wish Rob a full and rapid recovery.
    So a busy and varied few months ahead with the concert in Colchester, the concert with the Choir in Clacton and a contest in Norwich. Hope to see you soon.
    Kind Regards
    Barry Aldous
    Chairman, Clacton-on-Sea Co-operative Band

If you have been forwarded this newsletter and you would like to join the free band mailing list please e-mail clactonband@btinternet.com with subscribe in the subject line. If you do not wish to receive any more newsletters please e-mail clactonband@btinternet.com with unsubscribe in the subject line.

Clacton-on-Sea Co-operative Band respects your privacy and does not share the mailing list with any other organisation