Clackmannan District Brass Band

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Fergus, May 14, 2006.

1. Fergus

Fergus Member

It is with considerable sadness that the members of Clackmannan District Brass Band announce the passing of Band President, Derek Wishart. Derek’s passion for brass bands permeated his whole life. Derek played euphonium for a number of bands, including Perth Silver, the Territorial Army Band and the Alva Band.

In 1991 it was decided that the Alloa and Alva Bands would amalgamate. Derek was instrumental in ensuring that this transition went smoothly, and soon after, was appointed founding President of the newly formed Clackmannan District Brass Band. Throughout the next 15 years, Derek led the band with great drive and dedication. Under his management it had significant contesting success including promotion to the Championship Section on two occasions.

Derek was an inspiration to all - far beyond Clackmannan District Brass Band. Known for his ability to get things done, he was a great communicator, powerful negotiator and a man with a genuine interest in people. Derek loved the social side of banding. When not on stage playing his euphonium, he was in the bar networking to ensure Clackmannan’s future success or entertaining his band friends with his unique sense of humour.

After a period of illness, bravely fought, Derek passed away on 30 April 2006. He will be sorely missed by his many colleagues across the brass band movement.
  2. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

Derek was a top bloke who lived and breathed Brass bands especially Clackmannan DBB. When I was Chairman of the band he was a great help always offering to do things and ring players up. Even though he was meant to be taking a break from the commitee at the time!

Its a sad loss for his family and for Scottish Banding. My thoughts are with them at this sad time.

Derek was one of the good guys! Great company, a great bandsman, great fun to play along side and a great friend. God bless him! Condolences to his young family and my old mates at Clackmannan who must all be totally gutted at such a huge loss.

Mike Fox