City of Oxford de-registered ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Sep 21, 2004.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

I heard a rumour lats night that the City of Oxford Band has been de-registered

Has anyone got any better information ?

It would be very sad to see another good band in thesouth dissappear

2. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

I heard in August that this was the case, from a reliable source. This is very sad news, especially in the light of their successes a couple of years ago.

I understand that a handful of players have moved to Flowers subsequently.

D

3. livyarker

livyarker Member

I use to play with the band and know a few ex players very well, plus a few have joined the band i played for and yes this is correct. They didn't re-register as a band and i gather this is because of the struggle to get players for contests. it was becomming hard when i played there. its such a shame to see that happen to the band when they have had good success in the past. I know a lot of players have gone to other bands so that they can contest but not sure if there is still a non-contesting band???

its a shame i personally had some great times with the band. But have to admit that when me and my dad had a lot to do with the organisation of the band it was so hard especially as there is a lack of good players in the area. There were problems to get a band together to compete.

They are having some reunion concert the same weekend as pontins i think. I think that frank wolfe is organising this but not sure.

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's a sad thing to see COSB drop out of contesting. A strange thing, though - I have offered my general services as a dep on any of the Tenor or Bass instruments on several occasions to several people in that band in the last year or so, but no one has ever asked me to help out.

Anyway, it can't be good for our local banding to lose one of its two top section bands. Maybe others will rise to fill the gap (Stonesfield? Wantage?), but the scene looks distinctly weak at the moment.

5. livyarker

livyarker Member

Hi dave

Thing is you contest with a band and thats what they were having problems with getting people to sign for contests i'm sure thats why you've never been asked.

And hey you never know stonesfield and wantage may rise to fill that gap as they've got some of cities ex players.......so we'll see......

6. MartinT

MartinT Member

My understanding, for what it's worth (having been told nothing officially), is that while COSB will no longer contest, they will continue to operate as an ensemble. They are certainly still taking on jobs locally.

To be honest, I never understood why they didn't make more use of their Training Band (now Oxford Templars Brass) as a source of players. Perhaps someone currently connected with the band will be prepared to clarify.

Martin Taylor
    Chairman, ODBBA

7. NeilW

NeilW Member

It is true that the City of Oxford Band (CoOB) have not registered for contesting this year. (COSB is the "umbrella" organisation)

And, yes, its because of an ongoing struggle to get players. We've lost a number of people this year finishing at the uni's and moving away from the district and that's got us below the critical mass for contesting at the moment . Rebuild first then contest.

We do work with the Templars, however, as I'm sure many people will understand - when you've got a "fully functioning band" people tend to want to stay in it! (i.e. it operates independently). Also some people perceive the "skills gap" between a training and "senior" band as "too big" (which actually isn't true!)

CoOB are still performing - so Dave, if you fancy a tootle on your bone either day of this w/e at Blenham for the Cheese Festival you'd be very welcome (drop me a note for full details) as would anyone else...

Matt Butchers, a local NQT (music), has recently taken over the baton, and we're enthusiastic about that as is he.

Many bands I've been involved in have had their "ups and downs" and most recover from the "downs" given time and commitment. If we knew the "magic formula", I'm sure we'd all use it!

Lastly, yes, there's a reunion concert / ... on the 31st Oct.

Neil.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  8. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Neil

Sad to here that its difficult for contesting at the moment, I know when you left us (MTB) thats what you had always wanted to do so i'm sorry to hear its a struggle..

If Sally and I can be of any help at any time you know where we are

Ian

9. the fish

the fish Member

That's very sad to hear.

I hope "City" are able to get a band together again soon.

Best wishes to all still involved with the band.

Julian

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Hi Neil - happy to help out whenever available - PM or phone 01865 791156. Oddly enough, I was just speaking to Phil Gurney on the phone re some orchestral depping, and he asked me to do this cheese gig (all the cheese you can carry - what could be finer?). Unfortunately, I'm busy nonstop this particular weekend, but some other time...

Wasn't moaning or stirring, just found it a little odd!

Hopefully in a year or two COSB will be back - two years ago we were only getting 13 players at rehearsals, but things have picked up little by little, and I know other bands have returned from far worse than that.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Oxford
    City of Oxford Band
    good band
    better information
    rumour lats night
  12. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

You have no idea what you are missing Dave!!

13. David Pegram

David Pegram Member

Sad news as a former player, not good to see any band struggle but don't give up the fight.If i can help don't hesitate to contact me.Many of your players have been a big help to us at Chinnor.