City of Cambridge brass band with special guests - 17/11/07

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Bryan_sop, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The City of Cambridge Brass

With special guests​

Saturday 17th November 2007 - 19.30​

Little St. Mary's Church - Cambridge

The City of Cambridge Brass Band announces its forthcoming concert in Little St Mary’s Church, Cambridge, by kind permission of the Vicar and Churchwardens, on Saturday 17th November 2007. Tickets can be obtained from Brian Jordan Music and Books, 10 Green Street, Cambridge CB2 3JU Telephone: 01223 322368. £8 if purchased in advance and £10 on the door (or concessions £5 in advance or £6 on door - for children, students and senior citizens).

The Band is delighted to promote its first concert in the centre of the city, whose name it is proud to bear, under the baton of Peter Bassano, featuring some music from its recent, very successful churches tour: Berlioz, Holst, Ireland and Gregson contrasted with music by four composers; Batchelor, Holloway, MacMillan and Souster whose names are not normally associated with brass bands.

The band is also delighted to announce that it has secured the services of some well-renowned soloists for the occasion, namely, Gareth Stuart and Julio d'Escrivan (electronics), Mike Lovatt (Jazz Trumpet), Gordon Campbell (Jazz Trombone).

Two composers represented Robin Holloway and Tim Souster have strong associations with Cambridge and the Band is delighted to be able to perform its Patron's (James MacMillan) Festival Fanfares.

The Program will be:

Beatrice & Benedict - Hector Berlioz arr. Keith Wilkinson

Moorside Suite - Gustav Holst

Echoes for Band and Live Electronics - Tim Souster
    With Gareth Stuart and Julio d'Escrivan (electronics)

Festival Fanfares - James MacMillan

Men Marching - Robin Holloway

Elegy - John Ireland

Weasel Words & Winning Ways for Jazz Trumpet and Jazz Trombone - Chris Batchelor
    With Mike Lovatt - Jazz Trumpet & Gordon Cambell - Jazz Trombone

The Plantagenets - Edward Gregson
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2007
  2. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Pretty demanding program!
  3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Oops...concert actually starts at 7.30 and not 8.00. Could one of the mods update? Pretty please :redface:
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Done - hope it goes well ;)
  5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Thanks Peter!

Just thought I'd add, if you're on facebook, I've made an event. You don't need inviting but it would be great if you would let us know you're coming! Click Here for the facebook page
  6. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Is there a tMP award for most original concert? Hope to be there Bryan.:)
  7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

What about an award for to most top As in a sop part? I counted 48 just on the last page of the Souster piece and they're mostly plucked out of no-where! Trouble is, if I split one, it echoes for the rest of the bar through the electronics!

Hope to see you there!...Shame about the clash with the Cambridge uni/Somersham concert. :rolleyes:
  8. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

2 band concerts within 100 yards, what are the chances of that.:biggrin:
  9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Did I see somewhere that John Harle is also taking part? If he is, say hello from me - we were in the Guards together. I'd also be intersted to know what he's playing - just in case it's something I could get my fingers round ;)
  10. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

He was going to be taking part but unfortunately had to pull out. He was going to play Golden Demon for brass band and saxophone
  11. Soppy

Soppy Member

You're lucky we're honest people here at CUBB. We turned away quite a few people who had tickets for your concert... :)
  12. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Excellent concert last night Bryan, really nice to hear a band not playing any "Song from the shows" or the lastest blockbuster movie theme.
    Every piece was a quality piece of music, well done:clap: .

Also for those who say there isn't an audience for bands playing proper music, there was last night. I didn't count but the church was about 2/3rds full. Hope the band and Peter are pleased with how it went.