Citroen Zsara Picasso Owners...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by SuperMosh, Apr 9, 2007.

1. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

could you give me a quick help on this one.

Although tested and working, both rear brake light bulbs do not light when the brake is pressed. Neither does the central roof-height strip light.

I bought my vehicle and have since departed company with the handbook and fuse plan. Anyone else had similar issue or even better, what is the fuse number for the brake lights?

If I can just change the fuse myself and make it work thern wicked. If not, my neighbour (who is a retired mechanic) suggests the problem may be with the brake switch.

Any help appreciated.

2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

Hi matey, not sure on the age or model of yours, but in our handbook the break lights are both on different fuses (F20 and 21 under the dash) and the center light is on with the cigar lighter, 12 volt socket and the glove box light ( all on F22 under the dash.
    hope that helps
  3. ian schofield

ian schofield New Member

You may find that its more than a Fuse problem, I've had to replace the Brake Light Switch on several Picasso's over the years (i'm in the trade)

Good Luck
  4. MickM

MickM Member

THIS might be of use.
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

possible earth fault perhaps? Are the lamps in the rear clusters mounted on a common pcb?
  6. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

I've tried to replace bulbs etc on our battered and dirty Picasso, eventually admitting defeat. We took it to our local garage, who, with a knowing grin, confirmed that this aspect of it was a "nightmare"..... Cracking car otherwise!
  7. andyp

andyp Active Member

If all the brake lights stop working at once it's 99% it's the switch, which is usually screwed into the top of the brake pedal somewhere (I haven't looked at the one on our Picasso but most cars are the same). Easy enough to change as long as you're agile ( you usually have to be upside down or squashed into the footwell!)
    Unless all 3 bulbs have blown, but that's really unlikely (although I see a fair number of cars with 2 out of 3 gone, so one more would do it).

btw good site Mick!
  8. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Thank you all for your help!

Cheers - found a fuse map on the site from Mick and by process of elimination, took F22 (glove box lamp) and replaced F5 with this fuse (F5 being the brakes). Still no joy but.....

Aha - rang Citroen expecting £lots for said part but £4 + VAT - Wicked!

And indeed it was! Replaced brake switch in 15 minutes - Citroen would have done it for £30+VAT. Absolutel mickey take - I have no mechanical skills at all but if I can do it in 15 minutes why would I pay a garage £30 odd?

Sorry, is that English?

Knowing grin = easy money for simple job I think!;)

It is all working now and with a new set of bulbs, fuses and brake switch with 12 month warranty, the whole lot has cost just shy of £10.

Now, if only Head Gaskets were as easy to resolve (and cheap!!)

Thanks all

9. andyp

andyp Active Member

Nice to know the parts are cheap!

Afraid the dealer charge is typical, labour charges are between £30 and £100 an hour (depending on type of car etc), and you can bet the mechanic doing the work doesn't see anything like half of that. A suitably qualified/experienced friend is worth their weight in gold for that sort of thing.

The earthing thing 2md refers to is common in older cars (particularly Fords), the lights (indeed all things in the car) are earthed to the bodywork, so the whole body is the negative lead for everything. If the connection gets rusty where it joins the body the lights can go dim or stop working, or do odd things, most common being the tail lights going dim/bright/dim in opposite time with the indicators, or one brake light coming on and the opposite tail light going out!

Head gaskets are a nightmare. Don't ever buy a 1.4 engined Rover (as I used to have), they blow them for fun, and it's £400 a time!
  10. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Couple of years ago Mrs Mosh said her car was making a funny noise (Rover 200 1.4i). Apparently had been fizzing for a 'few weeks'. Also, steam came out of the bonnet after a few minutes 'but went when I switched it off'.

New Head Gasket - £645
    Cost to my wife - £0
    Cost to me - £645
    Having a wife like Mrs Mosh - priceless